• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Linux vs Windows - Which is better?

worlditsme

Although a lot of people would say that Paid hosting is better than free hosting, which is better out of Windows and Linux. Personally, I think Linux but was curious as to everyone's opinions here.

Most people prefer Linux, because it is more stable than Windows. Some people would prefer windows, only if they need to host a software developed under Windows OS.

Both are same if you are only the end-users. It only different for the programmer who develop the website. Linux supports PHP, MySQL (the major one). Windows supports .ASP, .NET, PHP MySQL, MSSQL and etc. If you need a hosting to design a website with the open source application, you can consider Linux platform as it works well compared to Windows platform.

Linux is the most used OS used these days.

As for your questions witch one is better? It really depends on what type of site your going to host, For example if your going to host windows files and ASP.net etc then you'd need windows hosting but if your going to host a basic site nothing to hard and all default then Linux would be good for you.

Normally people go with Linux Hosting, Its the hosting you could find everywhere and its easy to use and cheap as on the other hand windows is quite expensive.

this is like asking What is better a Mercedes or BMW? Each has advantages, and disadvantages before each other. Linux is wider used for hosting, while windows seems to be more popular for home use. The better for you is the one, which you can operate efficiently.

Nothing is better, they both are enough good and bad, for certain purposes. Though I prefer linux - it is free and it is more stable and flexible.

What is better a Mercedes or BMW
not a good analogy BMW's are crap in ice and snow :)

Linux (*NIX many varieties and not just ones names x Linux) is the most preferred and has been the platform for longer for general access, MS's intro to the web hosting platform left a lot to be desired and fell behind so really your running a home computer that shows websites (but it does up itself when you use proper server varieties with the whole tool-set for web apps)

Now it's just down to what you want to do;
simple website=either

scripting in php=*NIX

DB run site=*NIX (due to no cost on the MySQL compared to MSSQL and the obvious advantages of the former, performance on the web, MSSQL was never built to be web friendly)

Complex sites with multiple scripting languages and heavy DB usage=either - yep it's still down to suck it and see!

Last edited:
you so cant ask which one is better. it totally depends on the user and how skilled someone is with a computer. the more advanced users will for sure say linux, but, others that are beginners that just want to check their email and maybe watch some youtube, windows is the perfect choice.

Wake up you - web server not desktop FFS

At least I hope it is - if it's not I'm going round their house to go medieval on their --- for bringing that old one up again!!!

Last edited:
If you're talking of server, Linux, because of the flexibility/cost/relatively ease of use [which itself is a problem because you have to explain on a distribution]. But the same could be said with Windows Server.

If you're talking of server, Linux, because of the flexibility/cost/relatively ease of use [which itself is a problem because you have to explain on a distribution]. But the same could be said with Windows Server.

I don't usually put "Windows server license" and "Cost-effective" in the same sentence unless it's in the negative.

Assuming it's an on-site server they're paying the license for. The cost difference for small web hosting accounts most people use is negligible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6&cm_re=windows_server-_-32-116-806-_-Product

This would affect small businesses more ... I'm sure big corps get discounts on volume licensing.

I rather windows for desktops and linux for servers.
Linux ----s me to much on desktop lol.

I rather windows for desktops and linux for servers.
Linux ----s me to much on desktop lol.

You get used to it.

After all these years it feels weird to use Windows ...

Like driving a stick shift for years and then driving an automatic. It's like you went back to kindergarten.

In my opinion both these OSes can't be compared to each other. Both serve different purposes.

While Linux is good for programmers, servers etc, Windows is good for a normal office-goer or a gamer. Both of them are no match of each other when you try Linux's features on Windows and vice-versa.

I don't usually put "Windows server license" and "Cost-effective" in the same sentence unless it's in the negative.

Assuming it's an on-site server they're paying the license for. The cost difference for small web hosting accounts most people use is negligible.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...6&cm_re=windows_server-_-32-116-806-_-Product

This would affect small businesses more ... I'm sure big corps get discounts on volume licensing.

Yeah I was using it as a negative. But only because it isn't listed in the option of opinion as to the "best", a whole other game. I'd say though for the sake of the poll, Linux defiantly for servers, only because I think its always a positive to branch to it from Windows environments because of the cost of everything from software, to the hardware to run [whatever it is serving]. I actually had to go through volume licensing and cost effectiveness on Windows environments on part of the course I finished weeks ago for offices to big businesses. We couldn't all agree on the "best" because of the factors they all uniquely involved. I think the only one we could agree on was MacOS X Server not being a option, even if you used Windows Server or Linux for compatibility, because it is so ridiculously expensive with less flexibility.

Back