• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Linux Red Hat or windows 2000

Sure thing vik13. I have to apologize to Lil_Rob for the rant on his thread.

For my simple answer to your question it's generally best to choose Linux if you don't have any specific windows requirements. This is just my personal opinion and no OS is definitely better then the other. It all depends on how the server is managed and secured.

Regarding my rant, I just want to make it clear that I'm not a big Microsoft fan but rather I just hate to see a company get tore apart for the wrong reasons. Code Red is a perfect example; if the administrators just patched their systems everything would be fine. Many didn't however and Microsoft had days of bad press as a result. If you want to hate them for anti-competitive practices or other reasons feel free but let's not judge a company for the wrong reasons.

Yet it's only apache:asp. Most of the 'good' features in ASP are now gone down the drain, might aswell use php :p

Originally posted by Webdude

Nope, guess again...
ChiliSoft ASP, a great product but it's not on FreeBSD yet. ASP is only one of the Microsoft technologies, if you read my whole post you'll see that wasn't the point. The point was people blame Microsoft for bad security when it's usually always the system administrators that didn't patch their systems. If I were to exploit OpenSSH on a Linux system does that mean Linux sucks? Of course not, but that's exactly how people blame Microsoft.

I don't run a single Windows server and don't have any immediate plans to so it's not that I'm a Microsoft supporter it's just that I hate to see Microsoft bashing for the wrong reasons. The same way I would hate to see someone blame General Motors for producing cheaper cars then Lexus and as a result there are more cars to cause traffic jams.

Originally posted by Webdude
http://worldzonesupport.com/test.asp

Oh wow...ASP on a Linux machine! What was that advantage you said Windows had? :D
Asp runs faster on windows and php runs faster on linux. When I posted in this thread a while back I said it depends on what scripting you are going to use. Like todd I am not a microsoft supporter but I gave both points of view. So the advantage windows has is that asp runs faster and it runs better with more features. The same goes with php and linux or *nix servers.

Well said cheatpark, also note that although there may be ASP support on Linux I doubt it's 100% identical to the Microsoft version. Checking ChiliSoft's forum I see it does have missing features: http://www.chilisoft.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=133

I'm sure they will take care of this and I do hope they release it for FreeBSD as well because it is a great solution to ASP on non-Microsoft systems. ASP is only one example; I'm sure with Microsoft's .NET push we'll see more and more technology designed to only work on Windows servers / IE browsers which is a shame.

I'm all for wide spread support of software across Windows/Linux/Solaris/*BSD/BeOS/OS X/and any others I may have left out but lets face it each OS has its strength and weaknesses and you shouldn't bash a specific one just for the sake of bashing them.

both points of view

Linux- reliability, scalability, ASP, Apache, Free, Open Source, Unlimited Users, Shoutcast Streaming (FREE),

Microsoft- Instability, Hackability, Crashability, Crapability, ASP, Bill Gates, $$$$$, Thats all they care aboutability, You want our source?? yeah right ur not getting that even if we are told to release it in court, Seperate Licenses, WMA Streaming,

Anyone else have anything to add? I just scratched the surface.

I really have nothing against Microsoft. I like their products if it wasnt for windows (which I'm using right now, XP) alot of ppl prolly wouldnt be hear today including myself. But they need to quit cramming their products down the consumers throats. Like if you open outlook express it opens Windows Messenger and you cant close it until you close OE. And they shouldnt be regulated by the gov't but if the government doesnt do it microsoft sure wont.

Last edited:
I removed my last post as cheatpark covered it.

At least be fair we you evaluate the operating systems or else it appears as though you are a troll waiting for a bite.

Originally posted by michael p bennett
both points of view

Linux- reliability, scalability, ASP, Apache, Free, Open Source, Unlimited Users, Shoutcast Streaming (FREE),

Microsoft- Instability, Hackability, Crashability, Crapability, ASP, Bill Gates, $$$$$, Thats all they care aboutability, You want our source?? yeah right ur not getting that even if we are told to release it in court, Seperate Licenses, WMA Streaming,

Anyone else have anything to add? I just scratched the surface.

Incorrect ... linux actually has 1 or 2 more holes than windows 2000 !!!

I read that online somewhere !! suck it .... the only there are so many windows haters ... are the way microsoft has gone about windows .... however you'll see some nice changes now they care alot more about their buyers ...

Now if you wanna talk about something funny talk about AOL TimeWarner buying Red Hat to spite microsoft :biggrin2:

Windows has abit 30 or so security holes .... linux has 2 more ... :)

IF you say i'm lying ... then i suggest you re-think .. i've been in the business for over 2 and half years PURE computers .... i know what i'm talking about ... i've used both Linux and Windows

FreeBSD / Red Hat / Slackware / Windows NT 3 , 4 / Windows 2000 / Windows XP / Windows 3.1 / Windows 95 / Windows 98

Back