• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Life-Time Fee Hosting

Hello. Well another question. I saw some hosts offering hosting plans for a price for life-time (no billing cycle). Is this type of hosting any good? Is it worth offering hosting for life-time fee?

Regards.

I wouldn't. What happens when the money runs out, you keep hosting them for free? OR do you hope they just leave before that happens?

Way too much risk.

Thats exactly what I think...plus they charge you a crap load of money...what if you loose interest? I'd go for the regular billing cycle...plus what if they go outta business?

They might run away with your money before you upload your website. It's not a good deal for the host and for the client

RobHosting said:
Hello. Well another question. I saw some hosts offering hosting plans for a price for life-time (no billing cycle). Is this type of hosting any good? Is it worth offering hosting for life-time fee?

Regards.

I am forever arguing this point.
"How Long Is A Lifetime" is what people should be asking hosts who offer such rediculous deals.
Let's look at it:

I come to you and say, "Hey man, pay me $100.00 for x amount of space and x amount of transfer. One payment and the hosting is yours for life."

Sounds tempting eh?

Next week, I decide, after I make maybe 2,000 USD, I have enough money now, I will sell the business. I then go to some host provider who is new on the scene and say, "I have a very successful hosting business. I have 20 clients, each paying 100.00/mo and you can have it for $2,500.00"
Quick sale and me off sailing for my holidays.
In the meantime, the new owner is sending all of you emails, welcoming you as his new clients and informing you how happy he is that he is getting 100.00 USD/mo from each of you. And you are there, "WTF?" and at the end of that month or the next month, your site is down. Why? Because you aint paid the monthly fee of 100.00 and I am laughing my head off in the sun.

Think about it. There is no such thing as Lifetime One-off hosting plans. It's a scam out and out. And those who provide such a service are Liars and should not be trusted.

Well, it wouldn't technically be a lie if they said in their TOS somewhere that the payment is good for the lifetime of the host and not the user... ;)

It is shady though, and I would avoid at all costs.

Bruce said:
Well, it wouldn't technically be a lie if they said in their TOS somewhere that the payment is good for the lifetime of the host and not the user... ;)

It is shady though, and I would avoid at all costs.

I understand what you are saying. What I am saying though, as you just said, it's shady, so it is easy for host providers to lie in their TOS too.

ms11.net has been doing this for 4 years now, and they are still around and are a very reliable host. They charge a one time fee of $11.00 to set yu up a free hoting account with 25 MB's Web Space and unmonitored Bandwidth. You can also direct link to any of your image files that you have hosted there so you could use your images anywhere on the net like in forums and stuff.

I don't know how they do it, but they do it. I currently have like 3 free accounts with them and I never once had a problem with them being down or anything else for that matter.

Oh, and one more thing to concider. If you only pay a one time fee of $11.00 for a "life of the host" site like ms11.net and say they only lasted for like a year or so ... you still did good.

I think it's a great idea for a free host to do this because at least you get something ($) for setting up every new account that you could put towards your hosting bills. Doing the banner thing is only good for your clients that have a lot of hits, but what about the members that have very low traffic, or that set up a site and never promote it or do anything with it ... that can't make you any money.

Last edited:
alley said:
ms11.net has been doing this for 4 years now, and they are still around and are very reliable host. They charge a one time fee of $11.00 to set yu up a free hoting account with 25 MB's Web Space and unmonitored Bandwidth. You can also direct link to any of your image files that you have hosted there so you could use your images anywhere on the net like in forums and stuff.

I don't know how they do it, but they do it. I currently have like 3 free accounts with them and I never once had a problem with them being down or anything else for that matter.

Obviously they are one of the very few genuine ones.

alley said:
ms11.net has been doing this for 4 years now, and they are still around and are a very reliable host. They charge a one time fee of $11.00 to set yu up a free hoting account with 25 MB's Web Space and unmonitored Bandwidth. You can also direct link to any of your image files that you have hosted there so you could use your images anywhere on the net like in forums and stuff.

Oh, and one more thing to concider. If you only pay a one time fee of $11.00 for a "life of the host" site like ms11.net and say they only lasted for like a year or so ... you still did good.

I think it's a great idea for a free host to do this because at least you get something ($) for setting up every new account that you could put towards your hosting bills. Doing the banner thing is only good for your clients that have a lot of hits, but what about the members that have very low traffic, or that set up a site and never promote it or do anything with it ... that can't make you any money.

For free hosting it's a gold mine I must say. I've seen it a lot. But for a paid host offering 1 GB space? Think about it ;)

For a free hosting site, or some site that offers other stuff, having a one-off lifetime sorta deal could just be an alternative moneysource to tap into a demographic that they couldn't access before. By offering a lesser quantity, which can be supplemented by ads, or their other services money, they can get some clients. Once the clients see how well they perform, etc, they will be more inclined to stick with them when they decide to get hosting on a billing cycle.

It's a very good strategy, if you think about it, and if it's done right.

The problem is, that most people don't do it right.

Regards,

alley said:

Pay money to set up a free hosting account?

Does not make sence

Back