• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Licensing your script

Fahad_1

Hello,

I have written a php script and I wanted to know whether it is possible to license it.

I mean, look at vBulletin. If anyone uses vb without the license, then vb can take legal actions against you and your server.

Therefore, I need to know how to make sure that I can also take legal actions against those who uses my script without buying it?

the most common way is to embed some code into the class to ping servers on install of the script then if that script runs from a different address you'll get to know about it, but nothin is perfect, the best you can do is ioncube....

there are plenty you can get a script called phpaudit which is a licensing system requires a license paid/trail system thats a good that one option its a paid one.

PHPAudit is a terrible script. You can easily get rid of the security of the script within seconds.

Even if its ioncube coded it won't help. All you have to do, is replace everything in the licence.php file with nothing.

couldn't you have something like license.txt on your site, and have read only permissions on it... than on the client site have it read that file, and if your site is on it than it's licensed, else die?

yeah you could do any number of things, but without the source being encrypted its pretty easily changed.

Look at vBulletin and other scripts; you need to enter your license number, but as it's not encrtyped, all you need to do is coment out a few lines and thats it...

if i was going to sell it i would create a functions file and do some thing like

that is how i would proably do it would connect to your database to see if its lic==1 and if it is run the script or application else run the functions file which pings the server ip and address.
PHP:
if($data['lic']==1)
{
  //show code
}
else
{
  include("functions.php");
}

That is 1 method never tested this and it would have to be on very simple file that is visable to public.

If you have spent alot of time and money into this script I would recomend making sure that all copyright and TOS are up to standard.

Not if it's ioncube encoded you cant which is the general idea......

Actually we found 2 major issues with phpaudit that someone with about 10 mins can bypass this license system. We even brought this to there attention and that was over 6 months ago and not one update has come out to correct the issue from them. This includes using ioncube.

We have never used iono but in theory they use the sames methods and i assume might have the same flaw in there system which is a easy fix. Nothing is ever going to be unbreakable, but the whole idea is to keep one step ahead and make it near impossible to do.

Back