• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Learning how to code

.Joe.

Yours Truly
NLC
Hello,

If someone were to begin learning how to code (PHP, HTML, CSS etc) what do you suggest the best place to learn?

I've tried w3schools.org but it isn't the best in my opinion.

anymore suggestions?

i learned through a combination of things:

helping others: doing minor mods to others code can help you a great deal in php, try the phpbb scene as its well documented.

think of something you'd like to do: like an image host and then think through whats needed and google to find tutorials

in your case id suggest googling for a "php cms tutorial" should throw up what you need.

I'd choose a script.. don't make it too difficult, read a couple of tutorials, then get started on the script you'll be writing, looking up help along the way.

when i was learning i bought a book from amazon.

In my opinion thats the best way to learn. And to get good it takes practice.

okay, thanks guys.
And lets say...I wanted to learn how to code the templates I make. How do I go about learning that aswell? (I need to know CSS and xHTML right?) whats the best place to learn those languages?

I have found its all about playing around.. If you dont muck around with lines of code ect you wont learn anything.. Do like colin said, Get something in mind.. Read a few tuts relating to it.. Then get help along the way, By help I mean google.com not asking somoene how to do it on a forums ect.
Same with webdesign.. Or you can choice to buy some books.. But the best way to learn for most is the first option...
Google is the most advanced learning tool on the internet.. Nearlly every error you will ever recive will be found on google with a how to fix it.
If I cant find the error on google Ill come to a place like this and post what I need to know.. It then gets resolved and this forums being as big as it is, In 6 months it will be found on google :D

Last edited:
You're gonna need a good handle on html and the way it works to properly use php in a web environment, that's a given ....

I'd learn html ( and css ) first and learn it good, I'd also suggest learning a smaller language first, such as C - you don't need to be a master at C but it introduces many of the concepts used in all programming languages, trying to learn php without any prior knowledge of programming might be a bit daunting ....

How i learned php was getting alot of scripts and studing them and waht they do

thats how i was able to make my game... ;)

Okay, I'll try studying PHP, CSS and HTML as much as I can.
But...how exactly do I incorporate it with my template/layout?

i learned from a php5 book that was very good. it gave full code on how to make certain things, not just snippet examples of things to use. so, maybe that would be a good route for you to look in to.

Nope, it's not coming with php, it's written by the php team though and easily used in any project ... if ipb jumped off a cliff would you do it ??

The reason that IPB and vB and such have their own skinning methods is because they have lots of time to kill and get paid lots of money to do so, even free software generates revenue, but the fact is that the php team have thousands of years experience collectively, far more than the ipb or vb team, and they have established a way, and a very efficient one, of using php with html dynamically so that's what you should do ...

If I'm doing a site that only has like one form in it, or doesn't use databases, then I'll use my own skinning methods, however it takes a huge chunk out of the development process to use tried and tested code, and you should do anything to avoid using html and php in the same files, it not necessary, it's hard to maintain and it looks horrible ...

Well on the smarty website has documentation like this:
Name: {$name}<br>
Address: {$address}<br>
Since I've seen that syntax used in iPanel, IPB, vB it just got me wondering. Since i'm just the one guy doing some free projects, my development time is thin. I usually do some work here and there, nothing which gives me the time which is needed to build something to perfection. When doing projects though, it my main classes I do try and leave the HTML out of there, use a template function. But in exception I do usally put PHP/HTML mixed in ACP Documents, i found that, me personally is easier for me to do.

I dunno what ipanel uses, but vb and ipb dont use smarty, vb for sure have their own template system, and it works - now at least - but its still a waste of time, and would be more user friendly if they used something as well documented as smarty ...

None of the template systems I have seen are as good as smarty is, for some time I avoided using it myself, I thought it was bloated and over the top, then one time I was forced to use it to fix a site and OH MY GOD, it just made what could have been a total headache a breeze, the syntax made sense to me already without reading documenation, you can embed actual php in your templates, it can cache templates ( it actually converts your .tpl docs to .php with real code ) so it doesn't slow anything down, you can use foreach and other smarty specific loops in your templates ( fantastic feature ) you can use php is_* and actual operators in expressions, you can do if else constructs, format dates, generate date / time dropdowns, they really did think of everything, it's well worth anyone who does even a few projects looking at it and learning how it works, suddenly you have 3x the amount of time for actually programming stuff instead of pissing about with html and templates ...

w3schools is the best place i have also learned from this site i you seriously want to learn php html and css then use three things
1. w3schools (best for learning)
2. dreamweaver (for coding)
3. wampserver (as webserver if using windows)

Back