• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

layeredpanel hosts!

JohnN

oarcadescript.com
NLC
Hey layeredpanel hosts, I have some questions.

Is it still profitable? Or has the bubble popped?

Wheres the money, is it still hostgator referrals or is it adverts - if so where? users pages/404s/main site?

What are you doing about abuse/DDoS. I looked into purchasing 110mb's script but it's $200/USD a server.

How have you dealt with .htaccess/php safe mode restrictions?

Thanks.
John.

Hey layeredpanel hosts, I have some questions.

Is it still profitable? Or has the bubble popped?

Wheres the money, is it still hostgator referrals or is it adverts - if so where? users pages/404s/main site?

What are you doing about abuse/DDoS. I looked into purchasing 110mb's script but it's $200/USD a server.

How have you dealt with .htaccess/php safe mode restrictions?

Thanks.
John.

John, if you're still looking for info on this, PM me with all of your questions. I don't really want to share my answers publicly.

Edit: I've PM'd you it instead. (lol, sorry for the "I've PM'd you" reply. I changed my mind last min.)

Last edited:
I know quite a few people still running layered panel - and it's not dried up by a long shot. It's honestly one of the easiest ways to get a high ranking domain (alexa and backlinks). The initial cost is the biggest factor, it's about $300 + cost of dedicated server.

But if you take time to promote it and only offer as much bandwidth as your willing to let users use - you won't have a problem. DDos attacks happen to every host, usually you can deal with that at the server level - so it's not script dependent - use routing if its a single ip or a subnet, a good server host will help you with that.

The biggest abusers that I've heard are phishers and people using torrent scripts. These people are idiots though and they make it really obvious - it's not about bandwidth but the file type structure. Like if you look up the name of hte scripts like torrentflux you'll find them. For phishers it's a bit harder but you just look up clones of ebay / paypal - the easiest thing to do is let people report it to you so have a report abuse link on your main host page or on the bottom of all member pages (but they may not like that so becareful).

The main thing is be weary, but don't abuse the power as admin. You'll alienate your members. The real money comes in ads on 404 pages. Here's how you can start:

just adsense ads at the bottom of the page initially to get members signing up. Put no ads on the frontpage, but place them in the control panel - put as many as you can - it actually makes a bit of money - blend it well. Then after you start to get 10+ signups a day - put another adsense ad on the top of the page. And make sure you have ads on the 404 pages - those can make you a lot of money.

If you get a lot of members, you can remove all ads on user pages and just keep them on the 404. I know a few of the LP admins are doing this and making a lot of money, users are happy they don't have ads on their page and refer you to others then you get more signups, and you make money off the 404 pages (users are prone to this - they have lots of broken links which gets you tos of visitors, also tos abusers that are deleted trickle good traffic).

But you want good members, so have a forum and actually staff it. Let people discuss webmaster stuff and take part in it and help them now andthen. Once you build a community you're site becomes worth 20x as valuable and you can use it to promote affiliate products and other stuff. That's were the real big money is (we're talking $xx xxx). Few want to put time to do this, and their forums go dead.

Anyways the good thing about LP is users love it because they can go right into it and it has a lot of features like cpanel but it's much safer. There you go those are my tips for LP...

Streak, when you say ads on 404 pages, do you mean your own ads on 404 pages, or network ads? Which networks allow ads on 404s?

When you say ads on 404 pages, are you referring to ads for your own site, or network ads like adsense? What networks allow this?

Networks. And many do. You have to look for them, don't just go to the big companies like Google and Yahoo, look deeper than that.

Networks. And many do. You have to look for them, don't just go to the big companies like Google and Yahoo, look deeper than that.

Yes, I am very familiar with most of the ad networks, just curious which ones have proven performance on 404 pages. Does PopUpTraffic and networks liek that work well on 404's?

Never heard of them before... I can't remember the ones we used over at where I last worked, they've removed them and put them over to AdSense now... The one we HAD though worked fantastic. It was a keyword orientated one, and just loaded hundreds of keywords on the page load which a pageload alone earnt you money. It was JavaScript based, I'll try and find the network again.

Never heard of them before... I can't remember the ones we used over at where I last worked, they've removed them and put them over to AdSense now... The one we HAD though worked fantastic. It was a keyword orientated one, and just loaded hundreds of keywords on the page load which a pageload alone earnt you money. It was JavaScript based, I'll try and find the network again.

Thanks Dynash :) I'd appreciate it

Back