• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Issue with Vista and flash memory

jmiller

tripcode
NLC
I've been having an issue when accessing solid state memory (SD, Flash, etc) on a couple different Vista machines with built in memory readers.

The issue is someone strange, and I can't quite troubleshoot it.

What is happening is this: If I pop in a card then safely eject it, and pop it back in at a later time, without rebooting the computer, Windows will not recognize the drive. This issue is happening with several different cards and with two HP machines running Vista with SP1. The only way I can read a card a second time is by rebooting.

Any suggestions?

Hmm, the problem I'm having with Vista and external memory is that Vista won't eject it. Ok, so I got the message saying that I can safely remove the device but the device itself is not turned off.
Any solutions?

That just means the drivers unloaded, if it 'ejected' a USB device to power off it would mean turning the power off to all USB ports on that hub, it's safe to just pull it out :)

As to the flash problem - which version of vista are you running, and did you notice the problem prior to the release of SP1 ?

Wouldn't it be more logical, just to leave it in?
Or, every time you re-enter it, try doing a driver search on it through the "add-new hardware".

Does it say "new hardware found" when you enter it a second time?

I recently did that without any problems. I had to put music on my phone, and forgot a few songs... a couple times. sp1 as well here.

Back