• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is this deal worth $10 a month?

rhianna

I'm thinking of taking the leap from free to fee.

Please look at the basic elements of one plan I am looking at and give me advice as to whether I could do better or not (for $10 a month). Thanks in advance.

Web Space: 2,000 MB,
Monthly Transfer Volume: 50 GB,
FTP Access : 5 (why would someone need more than 1 FTP? I wonder about that)
Server Side Includes (SSI), Control Panel,
10 Chat rooms that hold 20 people each
Newsletter Tool, CGI Library, CGI Scripts: Perl, Python, PHP3, PHP4, PHP5, 1 MySQL Database (100 MB)
1 domain name (I already have 2 :biggrin2: )
50 Subdomains, External Domains : 100,
DNS management, 500 e-mail accounts (POP3 & IMAP), 1 GB Mailbox Space, 500 E-mail Aliases,
Secure Shell (SSH) Access, Proxy SSL Secure Server, Daily Backup of your Website

That's the basic package. My question is: are these features worth $10 a month? Would you consider this a good deal? a great deal? not such a good deal?

If I could find better features in a paid host, would you please give me some advice on how to find a good host with similar or better features at a reasonable price?

Thank you.

Hi it looks good , but as allways you get what you pay for :

The only way is to try it as you didnt name the host , post the host if you want feedback !

I'm supposed to name the host?
Okay, I'm considering 1&1

You can refer to this plan:
http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Ho...09E4F19860DDD9.TC60b?__frame=_top&__lf=Static

(Understanding) Paid plans can be challenging to those who have always used the free plans :confused4

I thought I'd use 1&1's plan as an example so that freewebspace.net members could encourage me to go for it or not. I am interested in what other hosts might offer.

Thank you.

It's late where I am so I'll log off, but I will check this thread again soon (I visit FWS almost every day :classic2:)

rhianna said:
FTP Access : 5 (why would someone need more than 1 FTP? I wonder about that)

There are many reasons for multiple ftp accounts. For example - If a webhost/webmaster provides subdomain hosting, multiple ftp accounts are essential or if there is more then one webmaster for a particular website its always a good idea to have seperate ftp accounts for the home directory.

I don't like the MySQL Database limit (100 MB) and have heard more bad than good about them. Because of those two reasons alone, I would look elsewhere.

Curtis H. said:
I don't like the MySQL Database limit (100 MB) and have heard more bad than good about them. Because of those two reasons alone, I would look elsewhere.

I am willing to pay $10 a month for a good hosting plan from a reputable & stable company.
How many MySQL Databases can I expect a host to offer me on a $10 a month plan?

Rhianna. How many database's do you think you'll need and do you really have a site that would use 50 GB's of data transfer or is it something that simply looks inviting to you for the price?

Rhianna, 1and1 has proven to be a serious player in the hosting industry and they take their job very seriously. If your budget truely allows for you to get one of their shared hosting plans, I say GO FOR IT!. They aren't going anyhwere soon, so you can rest assure that you are getting excellent service!

Curtis H. said:
Rhianna. How many database's do you think you'll need and do you really have a site that would use 50 GB's of data transfer or is it something that simply looks inviting to you for the price?

I think I'd use 5 MySQL Databases.
The 50 GB of transfer was a direct quote from 1&1's "Business Plan."
I was using their plan as a point of departure for a discussion about paid hosting.
I think 20 GB of transfer would be more reasonable.

Robert said:
Rhianna, 1and1 has proven to be a serious player in the hosting industry and they take their job very seriously. If your budget truely allows for you to get one of their shared hosting plans, I say GO FOR IT!. They aren't going anyhwere soon, so you can rest assure that you are getting excellent service!

Thank you Robert. I bought my domain name with 1 & 1.
I think that this might be a good time for me to pay for hosting and I would like to be an educated consumer in the hosting market :)

Are there any paid hosting reps out there?

I am still looking into paid hosting options. I also have a question about Java programming permission as one rep from a hosting company said I couldn't program applets on my site.

I am looking for the best deal I can get. I am willing to spend a max of $10 (United States) a month.

Last edited:
Curtis H. said:
Are you a current or former 1&1 client?

I know your question was aimed at Robert.
I decided to buy a domain from 1&1 based upon what I read in this online article

I can tell you some features in their prospective plan that make me think twice about the deal:

First of all their 50 GB Transfer is supposed to really wow me.
It's nice to have, but I can't believe that one of my websites would require 50 GB :biggrin2:

Features that appear included when they really cost extra:
Under the category of marketing tools, they list the In2site Live Dialogue tool in a way that at first glance it appears as if it were included. Clicking open a further explanation reveals that would require an additional $9.99/month (forget that
:D )

As I read the list of things I'm supposed to be delighted to get, I don't like the given features that highlight "no programming experience necessary."

I'm afraid of getting a load of junk, :p when what I really want is the ability to program.

The "no programming tools" would be great if they were given in addition to instead of in lieu of real programming capacity.

1&1 has desirable features, I might go with them if their $10 a month deal is the best that I can do.

What is meant by "set-up fees?" 1&1 will waive them, but as I was searching other hosts, I noticed that "set-up fees" would be inserted on the sly into my account if I "went all the way with the order."

I haven't e-mailed them to find out if they'd allow me to program Java applets yet.

What I don't like about 1&1 is that a customer would have to upgrade to the $20 a month plan in order to get 3 MysQL databases (100 MB capacity each) :eek2:

I want some programming ability in the hosting package that I buy.

I am wary of being given a cartload of "no programming ability required push-the-button-to create-your-webpage" junk :biggrin2:

Last edited:
Curtis H. said:
Are you a current or former 1&1 client?
I've tested their services since they've made their presence in the U.S. They are very popular overseas. Excellent company.

Robert said:
I've tested their services since they've made their presence in the U.S. They are very popular overseas. Excellent company.

Robert, thank you so much for your encouragement.

1&1 has a secure and easy to use payment panel.

The features of some of the hosts who responded were good, but I decided on 1&1.

As for my programming concern, 1&1's package will support CGI Scripts, Perl, Python, PHP3, PHP4, & PHP5. I hope I can insert Java applets, if not, I have an incentive to learn PHP.

Although there are not as many MySQL databases as I would have liked, there is a lot of "dumbed down software" included :biggrin2: that will be sufficient to begin with.

I liked the idea of the 24/7 Phone & E-mail Support and I think that swayed me. Plus I was able to register another domain name (included with the price).

In fairness to the other hosts, you might want to lock this thread now that I purchased hosting.

Thank you for your great advice.

Last edited:
rhianna said:
Robert, thank you so much for your encouragement.

1&1 has a secure and easy to use payment panel.

The features of some of the hosts who responded were good, but I decided on 1&1.

As for my programming concern, 1&1's package will support CGI Scripts, Perl, Python, PHP3, PHP4, & PHP5. I hope I can insert Java applets, if not, I have an incentive to learn PHP.

Although there are not as many MySQL databases as I would have liked, there is a lot of "dumbed down software" included :biggrin2: that will be sufficient to begin with.

I liked the idea of the 24/7 Phone & E-mail Support and I think that swayed me. Plus I was able to register another domain name (included with the price).

In fairness to the other hosts, you might want to lock this thread now that I purchased hosting.

Thank you for your great advice.
Java Applets are embedded into a website and are programmed w/ class files, etc. A host can't "support" these, as they are like javascripts, they are embedded into the code.

Hello rhiaana ,

Please see http://www.flaming-host.net hosting plans :)

Package 1
# 3000 MB Space
# 20 GB Bandwidth
# cPanel (Latest Version)
# PHP
# Unlimited FTP Accounts
# Unlimited MySQL databases
# Unlimited Webmail
# Fantastico
# 99.9% Uptime Guarantee
$3.85/ month

or 46.2$ per month

1and1 is and will keep its reputation as one of the leading hosts in the industry, there's no doubt about it. It's a shame they don't do colocation :(

Back