• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004 the best?

Incidently, despite what everyone else here says, the best web design tool is your brain.

Last edited:
Elementary my dear :p well...you need some sort of tools in order to let the others see what's going on through your mind, you know...express it :classic2:

Not wanting to sound like an eco but those tags are from the W3C, they issue standards that programmers can use when creating sites, although what some of you think, these standards are important because you are building your site using todays browsers to test it, but tomorrows browsers may not understand them right because you didn't followed the standards.

I think that the most important thing to try to do is code your pages in XHTML (like HTML but you have to close all tags [ex. <br> would be <br />] and the document type is different) using semanthical coding and the correct tags for the content, for example, some of you must have done something similar to

(Imagine that this is going to be some news content)
HTML:
<table border="3" bgcolor="#CCCEEE" cellpadding="3">
     <tr>
          <td class="newsTitle">This is a title</td>
     </tr>
     <tr>
          <td class="newsText">This is going to be a looong text...</td>
     </tr>
     <tr>
          <td class="newsTitle">Oh look another news item</td>
     </tr>
     <tr>
          <td class="newsText">And another looong text...</td>
     </tr>
</table>

or worse...
HTML:
<table border="3" bgcolor="#CCCEEE" cellpadding="3">
     <tr>
          <td>
               <font color="#0066CC" size="12pt">
                    <strong>
                         This is a title
                    </strong>
               </font>
          </td>
     </tr>
     <tr>
          <td>
             <font family="Times New Roman" color="#99AA45">
                  This is going to be a looong text...
             </font>
          </td>
     </tr>
     etc...
</table>

when this would be more correct
HTML:
<div id="news">
     <h1>This is a title</h1>
     <p>This is going to be a looong text...</p>
     <h1>Oh look another news item</h1>
     <p>And another looong text...</p>
</div>

And after this you would have a CSS styleshet determining the <h1> caracteristics (font, size, color etc) and <p> and a simple change in the CSS would apply to all pages, imagine that you wanted to change the color of the title, with the 1st example its not so hard, but using tables makes your code alot hard to understand, in the 2nd example you would had to go page by page changing that <font color=""> to whatever you wanted to change to, in the 3rd example the code is very clean and easy to understand not just for people but screen readers as well...

This is quite a long subject, and theres also downsides on the 3rd method, since some browsers *cough*IE*cough* don't displays all tags as they are specified in the W3C documents, well there is no browser that takes these documents by the letter, but they are improving and currently firefox, safari and opera stand in the frontline since they are updated regularly while IE (7 is coming) isn't since 2001.

Think about what W3C is doing and what it can do for you, there is alot to read about this on the web, google is powerfull, but don't throw standards to the bin, if you want to make a career as a webdeveloper/webdesigner or anything that requires (X)HTML coding, these are going to be important to you.

Why try coding in XHTML?
HTML is just fine. But get into the habit of coding in lowercase, using quotes when defining something and also the measurement (px, pt etc.) also, use css a lot to define fonts, sizes, etc. Makes coding much neater and easier to change. Though HTML isn't case-sensitive like XHTML, if you get into the habit of coding in lowercase, it makes it easier if you want to convert.

IE displays those tags just fine.

Yes, IE displays those tags fine, but it has some problems when you try doing some positioning and such, for example, IE doesn't understand the margin: auto; that would center your <div> in the page so you have to create 2 divs and the first one must have text-align: center; and even this way is wrong, since text-align is for text as the tag explains by itself, but IE applies it to all tags.

The CSS selector :hover is only applied to links in IE and so beyond, i'm not saying that IE is bad, but it was built for the ease of use of the user and it is now paying the price of it, that and not being updated for 4 years now...

I hope 7 will bring something new to the browsing experience, like that RSS feature that they have included, don't know how good it will be, but they are already thinking in including some propriettary atributes, so top movies lists and other kinds of lists (wishlists, weddinglists) can also be subscribed. i think that if they are thinking in proprietary tags, they are taking the wrong turn, but i hope they are thinking in a better way of doing it...

For some reason, I tend to use Dreamweaver MX over MX 2004. Oh, please note: make sure not to work much with PHP and dreamweaver, they just don't tend to love each other (believe me).

Overall, Dreamweaver is by far better than FrontPage, so I'd say you've made a good choice.

HugoLeite said:
Yes, IE displays those tags fine, but it has some problems when you try doing some positioning and such, for example, IE doesn't understand the margin: auto; that would center your <div> in the page so you have to create 2 divs and the first one must have text-align: center; and even this way is wrong, since text-align is for text as the tag explains by itself, but IE applies it to all tags.
The way I do it is by having text-align: center in the body css. Then using a container with text-align: left.

HugoLeite said:
The CSS selector :hover is only applied to links in IE and so beyond, i'm not saying that IE is bad, but it was built for the ease of use of the user and it is now paying the price of it, that and not being updated for 4 years now...
Not really, if you use a:hover, it works in all browsers if I'm not mistaken. My hover effects on my site work in both IE and Mozilla.

R4g1ng said:
The way I do it is by having text-align: center in the body css. Then using a container with text-align: left.
Exacty, its the only way to do it in IE, but the standards say that margin-auto will leave the same amount of margin on either side of the element, and IE doesn't do it.

R4g1ng said:
Not really, if you use a:hover, it works in all browsers if I'm not mistaken. My hover effects on my site work in both IE and Mozilla.
Yes, :hover works for links in IE but only for links, it should apply to any element.
Try doing a div:hover{background-color: #EEE;} and test with Firefox and IE, IE doesn't displays the new bg color.

Although i like to discuss thoughts and ideas and all that about css/html or any web language this topic is about dreamweaver :p

Well Dreamweaver MX or MX 2004 are great tools when you are editing some pages with a lot of code, especially if using tables for design, you can go to Design mode and it gets alot easier than just having to do a search for some content in a Code editor, overall i prefer doing hand coding but not always it is possible so dreamweaver gets handy, and by the way, i'm editing some pages that aren't dinamic and i need to make them, i'm only adding the php code without giving them a new look so i'm using Dreamweaver since these pages were made with Frontpage and they have a lot of bloated code and it gets hard to do something with on tight schedules...

Well, all that to say, don't use Frontpage, at least its WYSIWYG mode, its better to use a Code Editor like Notepad++ or something similar than just making it all in a word like software and then not understand what it created....

Ah...I never knew that :D

I used FP in its WYSIWYG mode. Basically because I didn't bother learning tables. I realised how simple it is :p
Frontpage should only be used if you're a total beginner with no money. It puts a bunch of crap in your coding. I made tables in frontpage and got rid of all the useless stuff and after that, I used Notepad.

Dreamweaver is pretty good, I didn't really bother learning how to use it because it had way too many features I didn't need. So now I just use notepad. Because my comp is kinda stuffed, I can't use FP, then I started learning HTML properly ^^0

It is the best.

It is the most common HTML editor. I have not learned it because the HTML course I took in spring was hand coding. I still have to learn it's features. Get the Studio MX you can find deals on Amazon or auction sites including Flash, freehand, fireworks.

Back