• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is it wrong to hate ASP?

Troy1

I always hated ASP despite the fact that I don't really know too much about it. It's usually slow, back-button unfriendly, and a Micro$oft product (which means bloated), but I've never written anything in ASP in my life. Is it as bad as I think it is (hatehatehate)?

I hate asp also, like you I feel a grievance towards microsoft, for no apparent reason .....

Not just because I don't know it, I'm sure if I put my mind to it I could learn it, but I don't see it doing anything that php can't, so theres no point wasting my time ( and more than likely, a considerable amount of cash ).

It's not bad, but I've never understood why folks use it instead of PHP. PHP loads faster, is easier to code, and often just plain works. :)

Before there was a PHP port to Windows, I can see why people used ASP. It's a really powerful language, but it takes forever to properly learn.

ASP is a very great and powerful language,a dn very similar to PHP, but, i like php way more. i dont like to do asp either, but, i have to use it at work since ITtoolbox uses windows servers, except for our wiki section.

ASP does it's job, had to do some work with it a few years ago to link with activex controls (spit) but it is workable on an MS IIS server.

It's not great and been overtaken, gasp, why would you do that?

Pay MS for all the resources to run it, program in it, mod it, yada....

Hang on all these nice open source things....la la la

Take your pick, corp 'ok' or open source 'mmmm nice' - developers tell, MS ones charge money (that they don't deserve), open source - erm nothing!

the only good thing about learning ASP is that a lot of big companies need ASP developers. it is harder to find a job doing PHP.

the only good thing about learning ASP is that a lot of big companies need ASP developers. it is harder to find a job doing PHP.

Very true as they fell for the hype, and now have to pay big money to upgrade...

Developers that work contract now are falling like stones, all those years at 'wherever' and you can't do that LOL

that is the reason i am glad i am getting php down pretty well, and i am quickly picking up asp. so, now if i decide to leave ITtoolbox, i will be able to have more opportunities. funny thing is, i am not even a developer for them, i am one of two designers. :p they are trying to get me to learn asp though so they can have me start coding big projects.

i did however finish my first small asp project the other day.

http://www.ittoolbox.com/sitetour/newuser/default.asp
and
http://www.ittoolbox.com/sitetour/existinguser/default.asp

the new user tour is to show people how to sign up and then configure their account, and the existing user tour is for users to learn how to configure the account if they haven't figured it out already. it was a pretty simple project.

otherwise, all i do is make graphics all day long. :D that is always fun, but, can be stressful too when making mock-ups that i have to revise 50 times.

so yeah, it would be nice to see some of the large companies start switching to php and mysql, or new large companies use it too, but, the old dogs will probably always use asp unless it was to become not supported.

so, i guess my point is that as much as some people hate asp, you should probably learn it if you ever want a good job doing web design.

I disagree, I turn down work every day, not necessarily from big companies ( I don't know, I turned them down ), the problem is that every man and his dog "knows" php, the problem for a lot of clients is finding someone who is comprehensive in all areas, not just a wordpress buff ....

PHP is much more than just a web programming language, and while ASP is similar to other Microsoft authored languages, it's very specific to the web, I'd like to see an ASP developer write a windows program, a linux program and a website in one day from just ASP, the day that ASP can do that I'll never <?php again ...... untill then I'll continue to ignore it like I do spyware and programs that are supposed to speed up your PC ......

haha, good point krak. btw, i notice a name change there.

all i was really trying to get at with learning asp is that it is easier to get a job at a big company. if i was trying to be a coder and i waled into ITtoolbox and told them yeah, i do php, they would have laughed and said sorry, we need asp developers. that is the problem. the big places are using asp, and i personally dont like it either, and totally agree with php being more versatile, but, if you go search careerbuilder, there are hundreds of postings for asp developers, and very few for php. it makes me sad really.

now, i am not nearly as good at php as you or Trevor, but, I am coming along nicely. so, i will just keep plugging away at it in hopes that the industry will shift to using it more places, and at that point, i will be a pro hopefully. :D

I've been using ASP for many a while now, and still enjoy scripting with it. I've coded a few decent sites, one of which handles thousands of XML records and the other is a simple game engine.
I chose ASP over PHP as I started fairly young, and ASP seemed more like writing "English" than the symbols used in PHP.
I agree with the other comments above, and I will learn PHP at some point, nut I believe ASP should be treated equally. My Windows hosting is fairly cheap and offer a good service, so have no complaints there.
Either way, both are good scripting languages :)

To me php seems more like english than asp, I suppose that's down to what you know best ....

It won't be treated equally, because it's not equal, asp is for building websites and php can do far far more .......

Can you explain how PHP is more like English?

I agree with you on the 2nd part, although I managed to code an OK program fairly easily with VB Studio, and a sound knowledge of ASP helped.

I don't hate ASP, I just never used since most of my servers run FreeBSD and I try to keep Microsoft away from it.

Back