• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Is EZBoard the best?

Well, I don't really care about ads, and I didn't really find the homepagetools forums that interesting-are there any other good ones?

i like ikon board but personally i think PHPBB is the best, i also like vbulletin (the board this place is usin)

No ads? How do they survive? :confused: And if they go down (which they probably will) you'll be left without all your posts and members!

Originally posted by Coolin
No ads? How do they survive? :confused: And if they go down (which they probably will) you'll be left without all your posts and members!

It's actually just a new version of a site that's been around for quite a while. It used to be mach.org, which I'd been using for about a year. Mach.org didn't have the UltraBoard script, though, it only had a wwwboard. There was 1 time about 10 months ago when there was a major problem and all the data was lost, and then another problem about 1 month ago when about a week of data was lost but there were backups restored so that no more than that was lost. The webmaster of mach.org seemed to hate his host, CWI hosting, which was at fault for the problems both times. In switching/upgrading everything to the new site as revamp.net, they switched to a new host, which presumably won't have problems like that. (Hasn't so far.)

Revamp.net isn't likely to disappear, though, since mach.org/revamp.net has been around since August of 1998.

As for how they survive... well, it does show ads to you when you're logging in to customize the scripts, so there's some revenue coming from that. Here's what the site has to say on the about us page:
This site is totally free with no advertisements for several reasons. First, I hate those stupid banner ads; they make my site look bad. Second, we can still almost break even without them. Lastly, I'm just a nice guy.

[Edited by Hoth on 03-17-2001 at 06:41 PM]

With advertising on the internet these days on an all-time low... I'm not sure if they will last with the ads only on the members area.

Back