• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

iPhone 3GS

Patrick

I'm considering buying one. Right now I pay $30 for unlimited data and another $30 for family texting, so I don't think there would be any price increase. It'd only be $199 for the 16 GB, as I'm eligible for upgrade.

So, I'm curious -- does anybody have one? Are they really a lot faster than the regular 3G? Is battery life noticeably better?

Thanks! :)

Do you have an iPhone right now? I guess you don't. If you had the 3G (like I do) I would say stick with the 3G and wait till you are eligible to upgrade or wait for something better.

Since you are eligible and don't have a 3G yet, I would say go for it. I personally am waiting for something better than the current phone because it's too much to buy it when I am still in my contract and it's only a slight improvement. (Seriously, 200 Mhz is not that much of a speed difference... especially when the phone has a CPU that can go to 800 MHz)

Do you have an iPhone right now? I guess you don't. If you had the 3G (like I do) I would say stick with the 3G and wait till you are eligible to upgrade or wait for something better.

Since you are eligible and don't have a 3G yet, I would say go for it. I personally am waiting for something better than the current phone because it's too much to buy it when I am still in my contract and it's only a slight improvement. (Seriously, 200 Mhz is not that much of a speed difference... especially when the phone has a CPU that can go to 800 MHz)

I don't currently own an iPhone, this will be my first :). However I did own a 1st gen iPod Touch. Currently have a Samsung Blackjack II. Planning on picking the iPhone up tomorrow, hopefully the plan will stay the same.

I'm considering buying one. Right now I pay $30 for unlimited data and another $30 for family texting, so I don't think there would be any price increase. It'd only be $199 for the 16 GB, as I'm eligible for upgrade.

So, I'm curious -- does anybody have one? Are they really a lot faster than the regular 3G? Is battery life noticeably better?

Thanks! :)

You do realize the iPhone does use the Data plan, right? It uses its own plan which costs about $30 for the line which contains the iPhone. You must keep the iPhone Plan for the time you keep using the iPhone. Messaging will go towards the iPhone though, just not that data plan.

Yeah, I'm already spending $30/month on my Blackjacks data plan so I don't mind paying for the iPhones plan.

I just bought an iphone.

They're pretty slick but i'm kinda regretting it. I'm thinking of so many other things i could have spent the money on.

I was eligible for upgrade and was looking for a new phone anyways, so for $199 I just thought you couldn't beat the features it offered.

Still happy with my purchase. :)

I'm thinking about getting an iPhone when I'm eligible for an upgrade. But, not sure if I want to deal with Apple always making newer phones when the buyers/users get little to no discount.

You can't blame Apple. The reason you sign a 2-year contract at AT&T is so they can make money, giving the device halfway through it would cause them to lose money. In fact, on a $99 line/month or more, I think they subsidize it after a year.

I got the 3GS on launch day (had it delivered to me) and I am happy with my purchase.

I was disappointed with the battery life (draining to about 10% each day with just moderate use). After turning off Push e-mail, though, and setting it to check just once an hour, I now can go a whole day and only wear it down to 60% or so with moderate use, maybe 30% with some major use (like using the GPS on and off for an hour, taking some pictures, checking out a couple sites (up to 45 minutes or so of internet and facebook surfing), texting a bit, and maybe 35-45 mins of talk time).

I find the iPhone to be a great phone with lots of handy features. I didn't think I'd use some of the features but they do come in handy.

Some things I've done:

- Used Fandago App to locate movie theaters close by and check out show times

- Looked up movie reviews on Rotten Tomatoes on impromptu movie trips to make sure I wasn't walking into something really bad

- Used the GPS/Google Maps to find places and navigate to places without having to print directions ahead of time (this really helped out too when I took the wrong turn and had to figure out how to get back on track)

- Took geotagged pictures (which actually look pretty decent, no replacement for a nice camera but definitely okay for casual stuff, much better than grainy tiny pics of older camera phones)

- Looked up product reviews on Amazon while in a store considering an impulse purchase

- Did some price research using eBay and Amazon while in impulse purchase scenarios to make sure I wasn't getting screwed

- Surfed the net for a bit (reading news and forums) while being stuck waiting for people in various locations

- Used the iPod features of just listening to stuff while commuting on public transport

- Used a music identification app to get song titles/album titles of songs that are playing in random places

I think that about sums up about 95% of my usage. As I've said, the battery leaves a lot to be desired but then again if you find yourself using the internet on your phone for more than a few hours a day, you probably should consider a laptop and/or a change to your routine.

As you can see the list of how I use it is pretty long, and it is almost hard to believe that it is all done on a single tiny device that fits in my pocket.

It's totally worth it, especially if you currently don't have a smart phone. If you are already on a good phone then maybe some of that stuff you can do already.

So don't listen to the naysayers who don't even own the device and whose entire experience with it comes from reading other peoples posts or listening to other peoples accounts of using the iPhone. It's like listening to medical advice from someone who has a doctor friend who told him something. Get it straight from the horse's mouth, and in this case I can say as an iPhone user that it is a great device and worth the money.

You pay for the experience, and in this case you pay around $2,000 (plus taxes) over the course of 2 years.

For those people who only use voice at the moment, you are still probably going to spend at least $1,200 or so over the course of 2 years on your phone and corresponding bill, so you are paying maybe $800 extra for having a GPS, an iPod, a camera, and a portable internet browser that works anywhere (almost like a netbook really).

When you add all these things up, it really breaks even, and you win with the iPhone if you factor in the convenience (such as not having to drag 4 or 5 different devices with you at all times to have the same functionality).

Iphone mate, Although from what I hear the 3gs overheats a bit... One things for sure, once you use it you never go back.

What are you saying..Do you know iphone 3G S is now available at 35K. And you know it can be bumped upto 16gb or 32 gb means much more storage capacity than iphone 3G. So what are you waiting for friend???:knockedou

Back