• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

IP Geolocation

dmmcintyre3

How many free hosts are using IP Geoloaction on signups? Personally I don't use it beyond country verification because back when I was hunting for a host half would mark me as fraud because my ip says VA and I live in NC.

Last edited:
It depends, but in these days like Google Checkout has IP check itself, so you do not need to use any of IP/BIN checks, etc.
The problem with standalone IP/BIN Check that it is not smart enough and sometimes normal users just treats as fraud orders. I would suggest to search so more better solutions like precharge. They have a good background working with fraud stuff. I am personally amazed that if charge back occurs they refund you the money which is awesome :)

I have geo location on, but only basically tracking for future purposes. For instance, if one country has a 98% problem rate, I may look into manually approving those accounts.

I use it on the signup form for the top fraud countries. I also use it at the firewall level to block two countries from the server due to abuse. From previous experience 95% of abuse I have seen has come from a handful of countries. The other 5% I can deal with. It's free after all, don't need to make everyone happy :)

Back