• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Invites as spam

jmiller

tripcode
NLC
Alright, so I have a rather simple question that I hope you all can answer.

Lately it seems many friends of mine have been adding me to their sms.ac friends list, and I in turn get invitations from sms.ac begging me to join.

And yes, I know I can simply choose to block the emails, but that is beside the point.

What I am wondering is, is this considered spam? As in, can I take action.
I haven't solicited the emails in any way.
Or does the fact that someone else gave my email address to sms.ac change things?

Thanks.

Are these invitations being sent by sms.ac automatically or are your friends sending the invitiation? If they are just being sent automatically, I'd consider it as spam as you didn't ask to be added to any of their list and didn't authorize your friends to add your email (or phone #) to any list.

They are being sent by SMS.ac as a result of my friends choosing to invite me through their service.

I have not authorized anyone to invite me to the service, so I have now contacted their customer care.

It seems that when you join, you are asked to add your 'friends' to your address book, and SMS.ac automatically emails them should they not be a part of the service already. Rather sleazy.

I get these too, as well as from hi5.com and wayn.com

some from people i don't even know. It's a pain in the ---, but they only come to my hotmail account so it's not that big of a deal.

ya i also get those alot from everyone once in a while, I dont really think that is concidered spamming because they aren't really trying to sell anything unlike other spam e-mails

Haac said:
ya i also get those alot from everyone once in a while, I dont really think that is concidered spamming because they aren't really trying to sell anything unlike other spam e-mails
Uhh, yes they are.

They are trying to get you to join their service, and potentially pay for extended services.

It is no different.

--

And yes guys, I know I can just delete them, but that is besides the point, as I stated above. :rolleyes:

Back