• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Installing Vista and XP on one system?

Hypernic

Well since many of the programs are comming out for vista I would like to have it installed and also have XP installed as well.

Is there anyway I can have both on one hard drive? And how do I choose which to boot?

Ok, for a start, I just wouldn't do it, Too unstable.

But if you really have to, Do the following.

1. Back up all of your files
2. Format Hard Drive
3. Create 2 Partitions (One for Vista, One for XP)
4. Install XP
5. Install Vista.

When you start up the computer, You can choose whether to boot XP or Vista.

Hope that works for you :)

it is a lot for most machines to handle, but, it is possible, and if you have a good comp, then go for it.

meh, i would say that you should be fine with even 2GB RAM, but, i would recommend 3+GB, and you dont need a huge hard drive just for windows itself. only need a couple hundred GB for windows and apps. save everything like your actual documents to a second HD so you can open the files on either OS with ease. :D

I run Vista Ultimate with a Windows XP Home in a VM in VMWare. And that's on 2GB of RAM. There's no prob with either OS, but when I switched to Vista, as a tech, I found it hard not to have an XP on hand to show people how to do things, since a major amount of my support is on XP pc's that no one updates :p. When my XP dealings drop, I'm saving some hard drive space and junkin the open security gate that is XP.

It's really slow on computers with less than 1GB Ram.

thanks for stating that Captain Obvious. :p lol, anyways, yeah, it is said to run Vista with no less than 2Gb, but, home and home premium are ok with 1GB. but yeah, Ultimate needs 2GB to run smooth.

thanks for stating that Captain Obvious. :p lol, anyways, yeah, it is said to run Vista with no less than 2Gb, but, home and home premium are ok with 1GB. but yeah, Ultimate needs 2GB to run smooth.
I run 1GB on Buisness. Works a treat.

I hate vista i honestly think it sucks but hey if you want to install the ram hogger go right ahead.

I hate vista i honestly think it sucks but hey if you want to install the ram hogger go right ahead.

Vista uses RAM far more efficiently than any other OS. Instead of leaving RAM empty and having to gather data from mechanical drives, Vista prefetches it and leaves the RAM always full with ready data. It's been discussed in many technical journals.

Back