• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Install Linux on dvd-rw?

Wojtek

W as in Whisky
NLC
Question here.

Due to the fact my hard disks are of the dynamic type (windows mirroring). Installing linux is imposible.
Tried installing linux + bootloader = NO os found, missing ntlr, had tor eofrmat
Tried installing linux with No bootloader. Installed fine. But would not start.
booting from cd or floppy booted windows and not linux.

So I come to the conclusion dualbooting linux on dynamic disks is imposible.

Now, what If I installed it on a cdrw?
incd can be used to transform a disc to a 'drive-like' state. but i dont think such disk would be readable from dos/linux.
And I don't think it's partitionable to partition for /ext3 /swap heh

What are my options here?
Can it be done with the stuff I already have? or I'll have to spend money for another hard disk...

Wojtek said:
Tried installing linux + bootloader = NO os found, missing ntlr, had tor eofrmat

why would it say missing ntldr when trying to boot linux? That's the windows bootloader. Did you try installing linux without a bootloader, and then making a grub boot floppy and manually booting with grub? that seems to work for me whenever i can't get linux to boot from the hdd.

"No OS found" was not a typical windows error message i knew
"fixboot", "fixmbr" resulted in that missing ntldr afterwards.

yes I did try to make a floppy and booting, and it booted windows

Finally I've scrapped that whole dunamic disk thing (to mirror partitions from 2 deisks)
and just installed normally. works fine :)

but I can't get the wireless card to work
installed ndis wrapper, drivers loaded, can detect the card but I just cannot find a way to make the card connect to the network.
But that's a different topic altogether :)

Back