• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Insane curve or error in my grades, either way I will take it.

Nick

NLC
Ok, so I just looked up the grades for this semester and I received an A in Material Science. Sweet, but how is that possible? I mean the course already had an huge curve built into the scale...

Exhibit A
90-100 A
85-89 A-
80-84 B+
75-79 B
70-74 B-
60-69 C
50-59D
<50 F

But on the other hand, Nick didn't take this course seriously due to other more difficult ones (Analytical Physics, etc.).

Exhibit B
Nick's Grades
Test 1: 83%
Test 2: 78%
Test 3: 59%
Homework: ~75%
Final Exam: ???

So according to the syllabus the weights of the grades are...

Exhibit C
15% Test 1
15% Test 2
15% Test 3
20% Homework
35% Final

Do some math, hohum...

Exhibit D
(15)(.83) = 12.45
(15)(.78) = 11.70
(15)(.59) = 8.85
(20)(.75) = 15.00

Ok, up to this point I have 48 of 65 possible points of the final grade.

So for the bare minimum "A" I need a 90. So I need 42 points. There's only 35 points left to get on the final, assuming I were to get a 100%, which from my previous grades and the lack of studying I did for the final seems pretty much impossible.

What happened? Beats me. But I think the A totally justifies what happened shortly after this last final.

Nick, man... Why do you do this to yourself? Material Science? ANALYTICAL PHYSICS?! I'd drink too. TO DULL THE PAIN!

Good luck :beer:

(so what are ye aimin' for? rocket surgeon or enginerd?)

Well, I don't know if anyone remembers, but I posted about it in the past that I was gonna stop working on my engineering degree (I was a very disgruntled engineering student at the time) and do an automotive technology program because I love cars so much. Well, I did that. Finished a "two year" curriculum of courses in two semesters. Loved it, but wasn't quite ready to stop there with my education.

Transferred back to a large university (the FOURTH college I've attended). I always had a love for the ocean and anything remotely related. So I started working on a bachelors degree in Physical Oceanography (Marine Physics). After I got about two years into the program my advisor told me that I needed to pick up a minor. I started looking around the academic catalog and noticed the engineering department started a new minor program in Motorsports Engineering.

Even though I didn't have to be an engineering major to minor in it, I realized that through all the math and and science in my Oceanography degree plus the mechanical engineering courses required for Marine Physics (fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, etc) -- I might as well just finish the engineering program while I'm here since it's maybe an extra year of work. So now, I'm about two years shy of graduating with a double major in Physical Oceanography and Mechanical Engineering AND a minor in Motorsports Engineering.

Cliff Notes:
1. Went to a university, wasn't in right mind frame for engineering so decided to do something else.
2. Completed two year degree in Automotive Technology at junior college in half the time.
3. Back to university, work on Ocean Physics degree.
4. Instead of picking a minor, declared a second major in Mechanical Engineering.
5. Two years left of six total years of college.
6. I'll basically have three degrees.

You make me feel so lazy. At first I wanted to major in Biology then go to med school for Anesthesiology. I later decided "No, ---- that." Right now I'm going for a 'standard' Business major with a minor in Japanese, and I'm going to go for an MBA after I graduate. So I'll be dumped into an employment pool of millions of other college graduates just like me, save for maybe my Japanese minor.

You know with the college drop out rates the way they are -- it's all good as long as you get a degree, Ben. Just make sure you get an internship somewhere doing something the summer before your senior year and you will find a job.

I don't know about a cheque in the mail but if we're ever in a bar, there will be a round on me -- top shelf, get what you want :beer:.

That's cool, Nick. Way to get out and learn some cool stuff. I've got an uncle who is an ocean scientist. He's the Manager of Geomatics Engineering for the Canadian Hydrographic Service. He gets to travel all around the world and give seminars on Tsunamis. It's is definitely an interesting subject.

Motorsports engineering? ----ING AWESOME!
thatrocks.gif

Last edited:
That's cool, Nick. Way to get out and learn some cool stuff. I've got an uncle who is an ocean scientist. He's the Manager of Geomatics Engineering for the Canadian Hydrographic Service. He gets to travel all around the world and give seminars on Tsunamis. It's is definitely an interesting subject.

Motorsports engineering? ----ING AWESOME!
thatrocks.gif

I'm thinking you should lobby the FWS congress to add that to the list of smilies.

Very good job man. Keep your headup and your pencil down on the paper and you will get your degrees.

The Air Force is paying for my post-grad school right now, (not to mention they paid for my B.A. in Computer Sciences)

Everything has a huge curve especially the math and science exams I am about to take mine after Winter Break and they were re-explaining how the curved work for each of the classes so yeah pretty possible but yet strange.

Back