• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Important for NEWBIES that want to know about scripting.

CommunityOne

There are many scripting languages out there, and they all can be easy to use and at times can be tough to handle. I am going to outline a few of these scripting languages, anyone who wants to correct me, please PM me.

ASP: Active Server Pages - A server based scripting language that is used to provide dynamic content and build database driven web sites where the browser may have no scripting at all.

CGI: Common Gateway Interface - CGI refers to programs that are used to produce on the fly content for browser delivery. Common CGI programming languages include Perl, C, and PHP.

Most free webhosts will not provide CGI because it takes up a lot of bandwidth, and may cost a webhost a lot of money. If you want CGI, you might as well go pay.

HTML: Hyper Text Markup Language - A collection of tags typically used in the development of Web pages.

Structured Query Language: SQL - A specialized programming language used in database development. Most database applications (large or small) can be developed using SQL.
This can be MySQL. But many free webhosts do not provide this, so don't go begging for MySQL. If you want mySQL, some hosts provide it free, but if you want more than one, you should go pay.

XML: Extensible markup language.

PHP = Hypertext Preprocessor.-A widely-used general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML.
http://www.php.net - the official PHP website

Perl: Practical Extraction and Report Language - Perl is a language optimized for scanning arbitrary text files, extracting information from those text files, and printing reports based on that information. It's also a good language for many system management tasks. The language is intended to be practical (easy to use, efficient, complete) rather than beautiful (tiny, elegant, minimal).

If I missed something, feel free to reply to this thread and I will add it.

Last edited:
Hmmm, the dictionary I was looking in did not have a definition. I will look on the PHP website to see if I can find a definition.

Not really. It did to start with, but that was when it was just a collection of Perl scripts for, you guessed it, personal home pages. Now, PHP's offical meaning is PHP Hypertext Preprocessor.

Do you want me to add that to the post?
If you want to add it, okay, if not, I don't see how it really matters.

Perl: Practical Extraction and Report Language - Cant think of a good defination :p

thnz dusty

Perl: Practical Extraction and Report Language - Perl is a language optimized for scanning arbitrary text files, extracting information from those text files, and printing reports based on that information. It's also a good language for many system management tasks. The language is intended to be practical (easy to use, efficient, complete) rather than beautiful (tiny, elegant, minimal).

add that

Back