• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Im sure this has been said over and over....

Lokannon

But, im gonna ask anyways.

Im comparing different bulletin boards. I dont have enough money to pay for vBulletin, so these are my options:

PHPbb(2)
iKonboard
yabb

What im looking for in these boards is:

1) Ease of installation
2) Easily customizable
3) Good mods
4) SPEED

I cant think of anything else i want right now, thats basically it. I would really like people to comment on those 3 boards, and weigh the options so i can decide which one to go with. Thnx

<: Lokannon :>

Whatever you do... don't choose Yabb. It can be broken into very easily.

Ikonboard or PHPBB2 are your best bets.

ahh...

Thats what Ive heard from other people...

But then again, yabb seems to be easily customized, and very easily "modded".

But i wont choose it none-the-less.

Now, people say that ikonboard is slow... is that true? Granted it is a cgi based forum... while phpbb2 is (obviously) php based, which would probably be faster. Does anyone know which one is better (based on my list in the first post of this thread)?? Thnx for your input Giancarlo, i appreciate it. Can anyone else help?

phpBB is lightning fast, especially if you add the template caching system which is avaialble as a MOD.

Installation is a snap. No need to chmod or anything. There are already tons of mods for it (http://mods.phpbb.com) even though it hasn't reached a final release yet.

I would highly reccomend it.

Re: ahh...

Originally posted by Lokannon
Thats what Ive heard from other people...

But then again, yabb seems to be easily customized, and very easily "modded".

But i wont choose it none-the-less.

Yeah, a poster here knows how to break into the admin area of Yabb.

So I will recommend PHPBB2... though I never got it working for some dumb reason (I didn't have enough patience) I bet you can. Nonetheless, I got another PHP Board and it seems to working fast and fine.

Great!

Ahh, thnx for the input guys... I think ill go with phpBB (or phpBB2 if it comes stable enough.. dont want it to mess up my site just yet... :D)

But, since im lazy, i got one more question to ask....

Are there any templates (GOOD templates) for phpBB.

I dont have the time, patience, or graphics skills to make my own...:/. If not, ill probably just end up using different colors, and make my graphics when i have the time. Thnx!

Back