• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

iframe substitute for netscape

ozefrog

is there an Inline frame substitute for netscape users? i put a <layer> thing in my page and in netscape it only loaded up that and the background. all the HTML was in the source. if i know how to work this tag properly please reply ASAP :)

What version of Netscape? It works fine in Mozilla (and thus Netscape 6)... I personally wouldn't worry about 4.x, I doubt too many people use it these days. There are better browsers on every platform than Netscape 4.x...

Is there a legitimate use for IFrames besides ads? I've never, ever seen them used for anything else...

Just to contribute -- most sites I've seen that use IFrames simply show a standard banner instead on older Netscape browsers. I believe some JavaScript is used, but this could be determined on the server-side instead....

I doubt too many people use [Netscape 4.x.x] these days.
I'd have to disagree with you on that one, 4.7.x still I believe makes up the majority of Netscape users, but 6 is fast on it's way replacing it.
Is there a legitimate use for IFrames besides ads? I've never, ever seen them used for anything else...
Nor have I, at least not used effectively for anything else.

You can replicate iFrames in Netscape 4.x (you don't need to in 6.x, it supports them) using iLayers. ILayers don't have scrollbars, though, so if your content needs to scroll you have to workout a "fake-scrollbar" in JavaScript, there's an article about it here: http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/column23/

One of my sites (selling Windows shareware, so all Windows users) shows the following:

Mozilla 5.x (Netscape 6 or Mozilla): 1%
Mozilla 4.x (Netscape 4.x.x): 3%

I concur, there are more Netscape 4 users than there are Mozilla/Netscape 6 users (my stats don't yet separate those two, I may fix that today). In fact, the ratio is probably worse than what this shows, as I personally use Mozilla 0.9.4. Some of that 1% I'm sure is me (it's actually only 0.78%)...

The majority of my users on that site are IE 5, with IE 6 quickly gaining on it...

Another site, a discussion forum site about the radio industry, shows:

Mozilla 5.x: 3%
Mozilla 4.x: 9%

I didn't realize that site was receiving that many Netscape users, especially using 4.x. I haven't been to that site in a while, so it's not skewed by my visits; the owner of the site uses IE6.

I had based my judgements mostly on the software site, not realizing it was skewed since it targets primarily Windows users...

I note Netscape as simply Mozilla 4.x or 5.x, since that's how my stats break it down. As soon as I get a chance to peek at Netscape 6's UserAgent string I'll be making an update to separate it from Mozilla, though they are based on the same code.

PS -- just for the record, I'm admitting I was wrong in my earlier post -- it was unfounded speculation :)

IFRAME subsititute: FRAMESET .If you do it correctly, it'll look as if you're using IFRAME.

Back