• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Ideas to keep advertising alive..

NC_TOM

I can get u banned.
I wonder if it will ever be possible to preload all content in a window before the window even appears. If this were possible it would be a great thing for popup advertisers. Many people close popups before anything even loads in them, but if we could have everything preload, even these people would get at least a glimpse of what is inside the popup before they close it, and I think it would increase the clickthrough ratio dramatically as far as popups are concerned.

Another idea is an alternative outlook at why advertising is dying. Due to bigger monitors, people now are using a much higher resolution than they were 5 years ago. If they made a bigger banner which measured, say, 900*200 instead of 468*60, it would catch more people's attention. Really, when you look in through 640*480 banners stand out a lot more than they do in 1024*768. They are tiny and nearly transparent in higher resolutions since most people ignore them.

Now, there are still some people out there who click on any popup that is the least bit deceptive. My stepmom clicks on about 30% of the banners that she sees I would guess; that's the way that she surfs the web, almost from banner to banner.

900*200? good lord!

I see banner ads almost the same as tv commercials, bigger shows cost more to advertise, same with bigger sites. Also, some tvs and vcrs have features to skip commercials, as do internet programs and firewalls to get rid of banner ads and pop-ups.

It's content and hits that will get you the dinero, too many people worry about advertising before they get a site up.

He does have a good point though, resolutions are getting higher and ads are staying the same!

Imagaine buying a larger television to find that the ads only half filled it? Sounds a bit stupid...

Maybe percentage based advertising?

oh please
increasing the size of the banners will increase their filesize waaaaaay too much. Even normal surfers'd go search for a way to get rid of em, just cuz they take away all the bandwidth.
BTW, over 40% is still using 800*600... So why'd you want a 900*200ad!!! Waste of resources.

I have no problem on clickthru
in fact, i'm gettin 1.4% right now...

Get a good site, and get good clicks.

Originally posted by Cheap Bastard
oh please
increasing the size of the banners will increase their filesize waaaaaay too much. Even normal surfers'd go search for a way to get rid of em, just cuz they take away all the bandwidth.
BTW, over 40% is still using 800*600... So why'd you want a 900*200ad!!! Waste of resources.

Sure, right now things are fine. Before we know it, 99% of net users will be using a 1024*768 resolution and all will have at least 56k modems. Many (may I suggest most?) will be on cable connections some day.

Originally posted by NC_TOM
Sure, right now things are fine. Before we know it, 99% of net users will be using a 1024*768 resolution and all will have at least 56k modems. Many (may I suggest most?) will be on cable connections some day.

Yeah, maybe as the Internet develops advertising should aswell, In the near future I don't think it will be quite fair getting paid for a 7k ad-banner while the visitors are downloading live video streams...

Internet changes = Advertising Changes

Maybe even TV-like commercial-like flash intro's for 10 sec when you visit a site... it displays the fast ad while the site loads in the background?

Possibly one of the biggest problems with banner ads is the ad companies insistance that clicking on the banner opens the advertised web site in the same window as the page carrying the ad.
As a rule... People go to any given web site because there was something on that site that they wished to see. Clicking on a banner ad takes you away from what you were originally looking for, and into the advertisers site. Keeping that in mind, few users will click on a banner unless it's something that interests them more than their original quest.
If the ad companies would allow the ads to open in a new window, web surfers could still find what they were after, and go to the advertised site as well, so more people would be inclined to check out the advertised product.

My 2 cents

Yeah good Idea Rick! I always end-up shift clicking or "right click -> open in a new window" to banner ads. It would be great if I didn't have to! :)

I know people who are still using lower than 800*600. And I think smallers sites should go back to doing some dirty work and contact some sites that you might want to host their ads. When ever I ask for a company to become a advertiser, I always give them less than 2 cpm. And the more impressions they purchase the less the cpm was. Sometimes I even let them have one week of free ads just so they can see what stats i was giving them. I never cheated them and they always came back to me, sometimes purchasing double of what they originally asked for. But many of those companies have moved to advertising.com and the like giving me only one or two advertisers.

Originally posted by Cheap Bastard
oh please

The majority of hits to my sites are 800x600, also. :)

Originally posted by NC_TOM
Before we know it, 99% of net users will be using a 1024*768 resolution and all will have at least 56k modems. Many (may I suggest most?) will be on cable connections some day.

The 56k, i hardly know anyone on anything below 28.8... And those that are are switching rapidly. But the 99% using 1024*768... Forget about it. I still know a few persons using 640*480... Others are using 800*600 and yet others use 1024*768.

According to thecounter stats (of the 500,000 hits it got):
640*480 1-2%
800*600 40-45%
1024*768 40-45%
higher: the rest
now it changed almost nothing in the whole year... And you're telling me that in no time (--Before we know it--) all those people will start buying bigger monitors just to have that 1024*768 instead of that 800*600...
ya right. Nice dream, but i think in 5 years from now at least 20% is still gonna be using 800*600...

Also, you mentioned something about everyone on cable. The backbone is moving at the speed of light, but even the speed of light has its limits... Suppose 1out of every 20persons has 500kb cable... with the current population that's about 300million (i'm being nice with my estimates). That's just let's assume everyone's online using it one hour/day.
that's 500*300,000,000/24. That's about 6,250,000Mb/sec travelling over the internet. Can the speed of light handle that? (6.25terabytes/sec... woosh)
And remember, i'm being nice with my estimates...:D

Can't you use a redirect script.
Lower resolution -> Page with small banner
800x600 -> Page with normal banner
Anything higher -> Page with bigger banner

And so on. People've been doing it to redirect visitors to pages best suited for their browsers.

Back