• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I would like to make...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcuscable

I would like to make my own messenger similar to Yahoo! and MSN. I cannot pay, so it will have to be free. Can anyone help me? It can be web based or P2P. Thanks.:)

Hi,

As far as I know, it is impossible to create a web-based real-time messenger like MSN Messenger. Such a script would undoubtedly require a database, and then as a result of that, it would also need some sort of a server-side language. That means, in order for a user to get all the latest posts, the webpage would have to constantly be refreshing. Since I have experienced the dreadful chatroom of Aimoo, I can assure you that this is not what you want. :D

So that leaves a Java, C++, or a VB option available. I have not worked very much with any of these languages, but I presume that one would need to be very fluent with networking and with programming in one of these languages. Do you have this kind of talent? I know I don't. ;)

Re: ok...

Originally posted by marcuscable
Anyone know these languages?:confused:
why are you so dead set on making an IM, what purpose would it serve? Why re-invent the wheel?

Anyone know these languages?
I know some of them, though your not hinting for someone to make this for you?

conkermaniac, Yupapa's found a way to do it without refreshing (Perl). I don't know how he did it, but he said it uses far less bandwidth and its real time. Check out his support page, he has a chat there.

If you want to make your own, just look into VB, easiest IMO. And if you want to get ahead of the times, look into VB or C# .NET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back