• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I need some help chosing a Dedicated Server

techguyboy

Hello

I am thinking in buying a Dedicated Server in the summer and I would like to know what things I should be looking for before I get one.

Right now I was thinking in getting the following Dedicated Server from: http://servebydesign.net/

• 3.06GHz Celeron D Processor
• 80 GB Hard Drive
• 800GB Monthly Transfer
• 512MB RAM
• Bandwidth Graphs
• 2 IPs
• $39.95/mo

Is it a Powerful Server? Also, will this server be good to start a Web Host? Please tell me what you think about this server and give me suggestion so I can choose the right one. I would like to keep my budget under $100/month (NOTE: I am not asking for Offers, just suggestion that will be under my budget). I would like the server to load the pages fast.

Also, I currently haver a VPS and I am learning some new thing every day. What should I must know to manage a Dedicated Server, Is there a big difference?

Please give me your suggestions, I am sure I am missing some important questions so just let me know.

Thanks.

No, it's not suitable for anything above testing really, because it only has a 5Mbit connection ;)

The server itself maybe OK for running a server with 5-30 accounts on it (low powered HTML sites) but other than that, no :)

Be allright for a free webhost, Or a tiny paid webhost...
I wouldnt waste the money on it really (Extra for cpanel etc)
Look in to VPS - They will also give you more cpu power for your buck when your looking at low end servers to high end VPS...

Why is the server from serverbydesign not good?

Also, I don't want a VPS, I already have one, I want to know what Dedicated Servers are good and not very expensive.

It would be a good box to practice on. The ethernet port that the machine would be on if you choose that one would be limited to 5mb at a time. If you are getting one to practice on I would go with one that is in your budget. You can get better but for the price and a practice machine it is not bad.

I have a server just like that at servebydesign.net. Not much on it, but no complaints. Speed is reasonable to my location, not spectacular, but good enough for what I am doing. That server has a few of my personal sites and so on, and is a backup to my main dedicated that I use for various other things.

Support has been reasonably quick. I have had the server about 2 months now, and really don't have any complaints.

If you want to see a site on that network on a server just like the one you are looking at, check my blog at http://www.mystikk.net. It is located on that server. I chose that to replace the VPS that I had at GeekRack.

Do you really believe that a reliable dedicated hosting service would cost $39... I mean with any web host... Even if the machine is low. I would suggest you not to go for a server with single HDD. Make sure you have your data mirrored.

I would recommend Liquid Web, over 2 years & always had good experience with them, no downtime (so far) & fast support ;)
ompahradar.jpg

Hi,

Are you reading the thread :) He need $39/mo hosting. The company you refer don't sell that cheap.

Back