• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

i need linux!

ozefrog

i need a small linux distribution that can run:
- MySQL 3.23.58
- Apache 1.3.28
- PHP 4.3.3
- Has support for SMP (2 proccessors)
i will need this for developing. I have no need for an xserver or anything like that, just the command line.

i have tried the following distros:
- Slackware 4.0 (Tiny Linux)
- Slackware 8.0
- Slackware 8.1 (VectorLinux 3.2)
- SuSE Linux 6.1
- SuSE Linux 6.3
- Redhat Linux 7.0
- Redhat Linux 8.1 (Peanut Linux)

and none of these fill my needs..they are either too outdated for the software i want to run, or do not support SMP without compling a new kernel.

i am a newbie to linux and i only no how to compile the basics...i have been using linux on and off for ova a yr now. when trying to update componants on older linux systems i get stuck in the same paradox where to update one thing u hav to update another and so on...its really confusing me...

my hardware is limited to:
- Dual Proccessor (2x100mhz)
- 32MB of Ram
- 810mb harddrive

i dnt want to use Windows, been there, done that. and i dnt want to b downloading a distro ova 250mb (im on dialup).

is there any infomation for new users like me to build their own custom system with step by step instructions or something? or linux distro that wil fit my needs nicely?

thanks

Last edited:
FreeBSD supports more than 1 processor.. of course you'll need to install apache, php, mysql on your own. FreeBSD also has xserver, but by default is not installed. Now FreeBSD isn't linux, it's BSD.. but a popular OS among servers.

yeah, just use Free BSD. it has few of hardware dependencies. its filesystem is similar to linux. i've used it years and it's so powerful.

i have began downloading the latest version (5.1) of freebsd. will it run reasonably on my system specs? (i realise prob not enuf ram)...

Originally posted by ozefrog
i have began downloading the latest version (5.1) of freebsd. will it run reasonably on my system specs? (i realise prob not enuf ram)...

That's one of the great things about Linux/Unix/BSD.. while RAM is important, you can run a test server off 32, 64, 128mb of ram and it'll run fine. Obviously if you want to run intense scripts, resoruces, you will need more ram.

i no that to compile something on linux its something like:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

would it be the same at the freebsd prompt?
and what are the actul differences between freebsd and linux...like does free bsd use the same kernel, lilo, programs, etc??

thanks

i no that to compile something on linux its something like:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ make install

would it be the same at the freebsd prompt?
and what are the actul differences between freebsd and linux...like does free bsd use the same kernel, lilo, programs, etc??

thanks

yes ./configure, make and make install are the same on FreeBSD.

FreeBSD has its own boat loader, it does not use lilo.

I personally think that FreeBSD boat loader is cooler, and as a note, if you have just one HD and one OS, you dont need a boat loader :)

FreeBSD was a OS that is based off of Unix. Its memory management is better, and its networking stack is the best. Since its code gets checked before being commited, and not anyone can add code to the base, its more secure, and its source code is neat.

Since its also a bit older, it has good roots, and a lot of the FreeBSD source code comes from other BSD projects as well, like its packet filtering system is developed by OpenBSD, and its USB stuff is from OpenBSD as well.

There are 3 main BSD projects:

FreeBSD: Free, powerfull and userfriendly
OpenBSD: Has not had an external hole for the last 7 years, probably the most secure OS available.
NetBSD: This is a project that has been ported to a million and one CPU's. It could probably run on your toaster =).

http://freebsd.org/
http://openbsd.org/
http://netbsd.org/

Originally posted by CoRN
FreeBSD makes one hell of a server os. :)
You also may want to look into Gentoo Linux.

i have looked at gentoo before...2 CDs not wat i had in mind.

im now anticipating the download of OpenBSD...almost half way :p

just installed freebsd 5.1 on the machine...been messin with it for 30mins now...so far im not liking it.

any suggestions for possible linux distros?

thanx

just installed freebsd 5.1 on the machine...been messin with it for 30mins now...so far im not liking it.

any suggestions for possible linux distros?

thanx

You probably dont like it because it doesnt have a GUI installed...

Originally posted by Robert
That's exactly what I was thinking.
I assure you, FreeBSD is fine for what you need.
Trust me, a GUI is no sign of how advanced an operating system is. :rolleyes:

If you're that set on graphics, scrap *nix and get a MS product.

Originally posted by Robert

on linux i didnt have a GUI installed...years ago when i got my first 386 it came with DOS...i learnt that before using windows....i intend to do the same with the unix prompt.

with freebsd i cant tell wat software is installed like i could on say slackware, suse or redhat linux. software such as mysql have depenencies and i hav no idea if they are installed for it or not. and when trying to compile wu-ftpd i get some sort of script error which is a pain.

this system is already dual booting with an MS product so no need for that (win nt4 workstation).

on linux i didnt have a GUI installed...years ago when i got my first 386 it came with DOS...i learnt that before using windows....i intend to do the same with the unix prompt.

with freebsd i cant tell wat software is installed like i could on say slackware, suse or redhat linux. software such as mysql have depenencies and i hav no idea if they are installed for it or not. and when trying to compile wu-ftpd i get some sort of script error which is a pain.

this system is already dual booting with an MS product so no need for that (win nt4 workstation).

The great thing about FreeBSD is that it has ports.. meaning you don't have to install everything yourself and the depenencies. Just browser over to the ports folder:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-current/All/

Get the location of the package you want, ie.
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-current/All/apache-1.3.28.tbz

and type in your command line

pkg_add ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-current/All/apache-1.3.28.tbz

And it'll download it and configure it plus and depenencies (though it may be slow on a dialup).

There is also a ports folder, but I assume it's not present on your system if you did the min. install, which I believe you did.

Back