• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I finally figured out what i need

Here's an idea:

Make a CGI script that opens all of your HTML files and looks for a start and end message like this:

Code:
<!-- start header -->

<!-- end header -->

and

<!-- start footer -->

<!-- end footer -->

and then replaces everything between that with updated text files.

Does that make sense?

Originally posted by jw
Originally posted by atlas
Have you ever used the WML system?
Yes

Such as...? Seems to me you are limiting making use of only static html files. How can you have such a popular website without any dynamic content? I'd hate to see it when you have to change a line in your layout, good luck.

1. How is it that if you've used the WML system you still fail to realize that you only change one file to change your layout? -- a template file, header, footer, etc.

2. Using static files doesn't mean your website doesn't change. Certainly login scripts, message boards, member areas, etc should be CGI, PHP, or ASP. Other pages that don't change more than once a day and are the same for each visitor are better off being static. How is it that all of Yahoo's directory pages are HTML files? They built it from their database into the HTML pages nightly (or weekly, I think).

mjk@atlascgi.com

Originally posted by atlas
Supermoo: It's a good and valid way of doing it, but some people, like me, use solaris and linux as one of the development platforms for a project and they generally provide easier or just as easy tools at no cost.

mjk@atlascgi.com

As you've probaly noticed I'm a fan of free stuff as well! You can get 1st page to do it (freeware) or you can use a Macromedia Dreamwaver (free demo for 30days).

I think seeing that this is useable in the develpoment process I find it much easier along with it's advantages;
  • Fast static HTML pages
  • Search engines can index all content

I think for Cheap Bastard's requirements, that's all he needs.

ssi

I would really like to know how much will using ssi to include headers and footers slow down my pages? In reality...is it so much slower? Or is this just theoretical.
(I'm redesigning one site and never used ssi for this)

Originally posted by Chicken
You won't notice a difference.

....unless your site is *extremely* popular or you have *really* slow server -- or a combination of the two.

Back