• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I am a dumbass! Can you help me in my ignorance???

lowselfesteem

:eek:

Hi, I just bought a business and I need to get a website up. I have a domain and webhost, webhost.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to make a site. I know a few things about what my site needs to do. I know what i dont want it to do. I just don't know how to do it!

I have FrontPage Express <-- is this ok?

I tried to do a few things on it this morning and I can't even make it link the pages!

Can you guys give me some pointers??

thanx,
low

Pointers:

1) Check out the 'review my site' forum to get ideas for designs...

2) Source a good webdesign site, teach yourself as much as possible...

3) Practice your skills.

4) Upload your site and ask for opinions.

...not much, but its a start.

- Aquatix :)

if you have plenty of time would it be to much to suggest to stay away from frontpage and learn HTML from scratch ? i know it sounds probably ridiculous now but if u sit down u can learn the basix of HTML in a couple of hours.. maybe a lil more..

or even create it in frontpage and try to undastand the HTML behind it using the HTML tab.. i think thatz in FP express.. u'll be much happier, and less stressed later when ur whipping up websites from notepad.. ;)

so, if uve got the time.. sit down and learn some damned HTML.. hope this helps and good luck !!! :)

You bought it first without learning HTML?

Well, the best place to go to for learning HTML would be:

http://www.lissaexplains.com

Learn the basics of HTML and everything will turn out fine :)

Yes, don't use front page stuff... it's better to do html and with a simple editor like notepad.

Good-luck!!! :)

More realistic (if you need to get a business site up fast) - pay someone to make you a simple site. (You can prolly get cheap labour around here.) Learn your stuff and make a larger site when you're up to it. And yeah, burn FrontPage! ;)

Good luck whichever way you choose. :)

FrontPage Express != FrontPage

Ok, guys. First off, this was FrontPage Express. That's what comes with IE. It's nifty neat little tool, but not exactly the most useful thing on earth. And for old coders like me, well, it makes ugly code. :p

From what I understand here, we have a situation where someone has decided they need to get a web site up and they are trying to rush one and get it up. :eek:

Do yourself a big favour - don't rush it. :confused:

One of the keys of having a website is that it is available 24/7. It represents your company all the time. Which means, good or bad, however the site looks is how you look. That's seriously important. :chinese2:

Now, I realise that you don't want to spend lots an lots of money on a website. You'd like to be able to maintain it yourself. ;)

So here's what I'd recommend, in order:

1.) Get a designer to design your first site. For all you know, the people who designed logos, ads, etc. for you before, can do web work. Hey, they may even do it for very little charge. :)

2.) Learn how HTML works. Use Notepad, not FrontPage express. I'm not saying you'll always code by hand, but you really need to be a good coder. Heck, don't even bother with HTML.. See if you can get a book on XHTML. I know that Molly Holzschlag writes some good XHTML stuff. (Huge tomes, but well worth it.) Her website is www.molly.com. :cool:

3.) Analyse how other sites work. My personal home page looks very simple, took about three days to design. It's functional, gives people what their looking for, and they're happy. That's not how businesses run, though. Used to work for a low-cost webshop. Check out www.ctiwebdesign.com and see what idea you could glean from there. :D

4.) Decide on some tools. Macromedia makes probably the best web tools around, especially now that they merged with Allaire. HomeSite is my favourite hand-coding programme (which reminds me, I need to get version 5.). Dreamweaver will make FrontPage studio look like such a lousy hack job, you'll wonder why you ever considered it. (Oh, and Macromedia has free trial downloads, so you can test the programmes out.) :rolleyes:

Enough rant. I hope that helps. If you need more, drop me a line. :wink2:

thank you all

thx everyone!

i think I am hearing three things now.

FRONTPAGE sux

DELETE FRONTPAGE

FRONTPAGE = 666osama666

i would like to get my site up as soon as possible. The site isn't really that important though. if i don't get it up for awhile it would still be ok.

i checked out the sites you guys provided. thank you they are very helpful.

some more q's

how much would it cost for someone here to help me? I would like to have a site that is very professional. It is for a disc jockey company and really needs to look good. I dont need anything fancy. Most all of the people I cater to are secretary's of companies and brides to be. In fact I have never had a booking by a guy for his own wedding!

Re: thank you all

Originally posted by lowselfesteem
How much would it cost for someone here to help me? I would like to have a site that is very professional. It is for a disc jockey company and really needs to look good. I dont need anything fancy. Most all of the people I cater to are secretary's of companies and brides to be. In fact I have never had a booking by a guy for his own wedding!
Well it would cost as much as you are willing to pay really, the more professional looking you want it to look, the more it is likely to cost you, some people, like me may be willing to work for domains/hosting etc ;):)

what i have-
25 Megabytes of Storage Space
1 Gigabyte of Monthly Bandwidth*
10 Email Accounts

some people, like me may be willing to work for domains/hosting etc

i really dont know how much storage or transfer i will need /month. I am sure that it wont even be close to what i have. I'd be willing to let anyone use the leftover chunks. I dont know if this is alot or not!

i think that i can assign other people passwords+accts to access the storage space that i have. of course i would be able to see it too.....

Last edited:
Originally posted by lowselfesteem
what i have-
25 Megabytes of Storage Space
1 Gigabyte of Monthly Bandwidth*
10 Email Accounts

some people, like me may be willing to work for domains/hosting etc

i really dont know how much storage or transfer i will need /month. I am sure that it wont even be close to what i have. I'd be willing to let anyone use the leftover chunks. I dont know if this is alot or not!

i think that i can assign other people passwords+accts to access the storage space that i have. of course i would be able to see it too.....

How much bandwidth you are going to use depends on what site you have. What do you want your site to do? If it has a forum and stuff and runs lots of scripts then expect to use a lot of bandwidth and possibly a lot of webspace too. Tell us what you want your site to do and then we could help further.

One of the most important things in my business is selling the customer. I get one chance, when they call me, to sell them on my service. I would like to be able to say to the customer "btw check out my website at ....." this will give me better exposure. Most of the people that call me are just searching for the best price through the yellow pages. My prices are competitive, but they usually still check out all the other dj's. I would like to change peoples midset from calling around to investigating the services! Once they see my website they will want to book with me for sure! The site needs to have helpful linkz for people planning thier weddings & other events, pages that are appropriate to the type of show that the person is looking for (wedding, fraternity, corporate, etc...), contact information, booking information, music inventory*(more on this later), pictures of the equipment and dj's.

btw--i dont know what a script is!

*i would like to have some sort of tool on the site that will let the customer create a songlist that will come to me in my e-mail. This will be especially helpful for the weddings because of the first dance, mother-son & father-daughter dances. Those songs are really important to me but the customer usually has no clue or forgets about them.

My Compitition
these bastards take most of my business but offer an inferior product!
The other dj company that is halfway decent
the only other one with a bigger yellow pages add, grrrr! <--look at the domain name! hahaha

i really think that the first and third sites are terrible. The second site looks fine to me (much better than the other two).

let's put these guys to shame, it shouldn't be hard!

Last edited:
I think there are a lot of talented people on these forums or forums elsewhere that will be able to blow those sites away, only problem is not many people like doing something for nothing... I am also sure that if you tried and read tutorials etc you could get something which looks better than all of those 3 sites together ;)

thx....

i know, a monkey could make a better site!

i am trying to figure out how much it will cost to have this done professionally by one of you guys.

i am also trying to find out how long it wil take me to learn to do it myself.

hopefully i can find a happy place in between. I think that designing and coding the site by myself would take too long. I just have too much to do. But I dont want to pay out the nose either.

I'd also like to learn how to do this so i can at least update and maintain the site my self.

Pricing

Ok, well, looking over what the guys at CTI Webdesign are doing, I would say that you're probably looking at a rather simple site. That would mean you're probably going to pay $300 to $600 depending on the size of the site.

I don't know how that sounds to you, but to have a professional shop do it, that's quite cheap.

What I would recommend for you is to have a small web shop do the work and burn a copy of it onto CD for you. That way you have your own copy of it.

I would still recommend really learning how to code your own HTML, and by having the website on CD, you could copy that to your own computer, and practice making changes there. Also, if tried to makes changes and failed utterly, you have a backup of the website that can be uploaded easily.

Back