• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

HTML newbie

Fab4

This is my MMORPG guilds website. We wanted a home page and because none of us knew anything about HTML and because my ISP account comes with the free webspace, they picked me to learn. So this has been around for about 3 or 4 months now. We are growing now and the first thing prospective members see is our webpage, so I want to make it look as good as I can. I think I have an idea of what I am doing so now it is ready for the expert's opinions.

All of this was writen in notepad, so while I welcome any sugestion you may have I am just limited by what I can figure out how to do in the little time I have to do it. I didn't use frames or anything like that because they seemed tricky and some folks don't like them. Instead I used this #include command and made a few segments that give all the pages the same look, that way I just have to type in the content on page updates. Easy for me, but if you know a better way let me know. I only mention it because it doesn't show up on the view source thing.

My goals for this page are that it is:
1) easy to understand and navigate
2) viewable regardless of browser or resolution and
3) convays the information I wanted to get acorss without being too boring.

http://members.cox.net/wayward

Thank in advance for your advice

Edit- oh yeah, on the profiles page, if the links are not working it is because the Magelo service is down. They are there own entity that I have zero controll over, been down for 2 or 3 days now and they say they are fixing it (hard drive error or something)

Last edited:
Looks nice, simple yet nice and clean.

Easy to navigate, and the content is clearly presented and easy to read.

Only a few little suggestions though:
  • Perhaps remove the splash page, as it serves no real purpose.
  • Make the image borders a different colour than the table background, and make the border size smaller.
  • Make the border on the pictures smaller.

Keep up the good work. :)

Thanks for the advice I will play with it.

Unfortunatly the splash page is needed because of my ISP. I only get soo much badwidth per site adress a month but I get 7 site adresses. Therefore on the 15th of the month or so I have to move the whole site from one of the adressess to another. This way I just load up a difrent index on the splash page adress that links them to the other location. And no one notices a thing unless they bookmarked a particular page which would then give them an error and they just go back to the hompage. In that case they get a link to click to bring them to the real location. Pain in the rear but as the space comes free with my ISP I put up with it.

Question for you though, the boarders should be blue on the white background, are you not seeing the white? because that can be an issue then that I wasn't aware of.

Thanks again

Perhaps change the link color. The blue font is pretty hard to read on the blue background.

Also, the black text is kind of hard to read on the dark blue background. Perhaps try using a lighter background color for the table containing the text.

Hmm, sounds like something has gone wrong. Here is a screen shot of how I see the page. http://members.cox.net/nothinghere/pagepic.jpg

Do you guys see it that way? If then it needs to be fixed. The table is set to a .gif background.

I think i found the error...

.marble, .marble TD, .marble TH
{
background-image:url('pictures/marble.gif');
color:black;
FONT-Family:sans-serif, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva;
Font-Size:17;
}

Had "'pictures\marble.gif" not "'pictures/marble.gif'" Perhaps some browesers could deal with the \ while others ignored the command?

Let me know if that was the problem and you now see the page as it is in the pic.

Thanks again

I was simply saying to maybe not use the marble.gif as the border, and to perhaps use a colour or something instead. :)

The splash page looks nice, maybe incorporate it into your home page.

I'm running Netscape 4.7 and none of your links work for me. It might be the shtml tag on the files.

Honestly CSS scares me. I recently did some java work to make the buttons change a bit when you mouseover them, aparently this messed up the Netscape folks. Im trying to find out why, but if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Keep in mind that when you view that page you are seeing every last bit of HTML knowledge I have. It was writen in notepad all from online guides and "how to"s. So, while one day I will spice it up with stuff like CSS I think that now it is a bit ahead of me. Maybe in a month or so, you know after I figure out why Netscape users can't use my links. Should be able to figure that one out in a month I hope.

In the mean time if you have any HTML ideas that could replace the <hr> I would love to hear them. Just trying to take it one step at a time, but thank you for the advice, I will have to look into CSS and the options it gives me in the future.

You should really learn CSS. I made the mistake of not learning it early on, but once I did, I would never want to go back to not using it. CSS provides so much control.

Try this bit of css to make the hr look a bit nicer.

Code:
<style type="text/css">
<!--
hr {
	height: 1px;
	border-top: 1px solid #000000;
	border-right: 0px none #000000;
	border-bottom: 0px none #000000;
	border-left: 0px none #000000;
}
-->
</style>

Just change the hexcode of border-top to change the color. and dont worry about netscape 4.7. Very few people use, and those who do need to get with the times. I can view the rollovers just fine with mozilla.

Last edited:
Did I do it right? I will play with the colors a bit. But did that code just set what the hr will look like and nothing else?

I know this isn't the exact forum for asking about code, but why not seeing as how you brought this "how to code CSS <hr> functions" class up and I am always eager to learn.

Ok, I played with it a bit, don't know what it looks like on other browsers but I think it doesn't look to bad on mine. Maybe make the black a bit less black, was going for a slight shadow effect with the top and bottom, eh, let me know what you guys think.

I am hesitant to put in a .jpg or worse yet some animated .gif line in there even though I have seen some really cool line before. I want this page to load fast for the AoL users as well as the T1 guys so too many picutres and images is out for me.

Last edited:
Fab4, as a goodwill gesture, i see that you have to move your site during the middle of the month. Well this isn't good for any site, so if you would want some free hosting, PM Me with what you need Space/Transfer/Feature wise, and i'll set you up.

Originally posted by Fab4
Did I do it right? I will play with the colors a bit. But did that code just set what the hr will look like and nothing else?

I know this isn't the exact forum for asking about code, but why not seeing as how you brought this "how to code CSS <hr> functions" class up and I am always eager to learn.

Ok, I played with it a bit, don't know what it looks like on other browsers but I think it doesn't look to bad on mine. Maybe make the black a bit less black, was going for a slight shadow effect with the top and bottom, eh, let me know what you guys think.

I am hesitant to put in a .jpg or worse yet some animated .gif line in there even though I have seen some really cool line before. I want this page to load fast for the AoL users as well as the T1 guys so too many picutres and images is out for me.

Yes you did just find and it looks fine with Mozilla. :)

Originally posted by Xlnt
a very nice site
i wouldnt be able to do that
did you do it all in html?:rolleyes:
Please note I always miss sarcasm on message boards, so if the smiley face means that the question was sarcastic or rhetorical I apologize.

When the original post was made the only non straight HTML on the site was a text/css that set the board background colors, fonts, font size and font color as well as the same for the “content” table (the marble background area). Since then I have put in some javascript for the mouseover buttons and a text/css for the <HR> lines found above and below the navbar as well as on the left side of the content area. Everything else is just tables and links.

If you are referring to the message board then I can take no responsibility for that at all. The phpBB board is provided as freeware (or is it shareware) for non-commercial use at http://www.phpbb.com/. Besides the board I wrote everything from online guides and lots of trail and error.

Forgot to add. Anything linked on the Links page is obviously someone else’s site. The profiles on the profile page are someone else’s work as well. They set up a site for creating and linking character profiles and have a database with thousands of items so don’t think that I did any of that or even have the first clue about how it is done.

Last edited:
Back