• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How to simulate different resolutions?

Theo

I need this to see how websites look at different resolutions.
The only way I know is to actually change my resolution from the settings. I can also resize the browser window, but thats only approximate. Is there any other way to do that and change back and forth to different "resolutions" quickly?

Also, I don't have all kind of browsers installed on my computer. Is there any tool that I can use to see how my sites look when viewed with different browsers?

I need this to see how websites look at different resolutions.
The only way I know is to actually change my resolution from the settings. I can also resize the browser window, but thats only approximate. Is there any other way to do that and change back and forth to different "resolutions" quickly?
I've made a page with a few JavaScript links that open a URL at various common resolutions.
Also, I don't have all kind of browsers installed on my computer. Is there any tool that I can use to see how my sites look when viewed with different browsers?
Probably. I don't know, I prefer to just download the actual browser.

well for the browser thing dreamweaver has this test thing in it that can show results of your html in different broswer versions and tell you what will not work in them.

and for screen res my comp is kewl i just right click and i have res options. but you probably don't have that on your comp :cry2: o well you have to go on and take the time to change your screen res to test your layout but if your using tables on your site like most all layouts do then you should set the tables to 100% . and make your site for the smallest res and also try to make it look good in the highest it's really complex trying to make a site that's compatibly you should just go for most popular and that's internet explorer 800*600.

Thanks dscikate, but I have I already found a way do it with what Dusty said.

But i diseagree that all tables should be said at 100%. In most cases I would prefer my site to be seen with a horizontal scroll bar, or have empty space on the left and right. By using tables set at 100% your pages might look agly at higher or lower resolutions, especially if you have graphics and text in them.

I guess you could set the minimum size that your table should get by placing an invisible spacer picture with that width. Is there any wasy to set the maximum width for a table set for 100%?
(what if you put that table in another table with fixed width of the maximum size? would that work?)

Yes, that would work to set the max width of the table, but what about the minimum width? The cells will became as small as the width of the largest element inside them. Is there any way to define in HTML directly a minimum width other than that?

Don't think so. I used to do the spacer trick you mention above + width in TD to keep it between two given values.

Originally posted by Theo
Try this ;)

http://www.itd.umich.edu/help/quicktips/2000-QT/qt01-21-00.html

I *used* to have a program on my PC that you could switch to different browser views, including webtv, but I can't for the life of me think what it was called now :(

Last edited:
I have the Display props. shortcut on my Quick Launch menu. Works well, tho I just discovered the favlets with are a good idea...

- Aquatix

Back