• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How to move on with free webhosting?

MilliR

Hi there :evilb:

So I purchased some VPS and servers and have most of em for paid hosting. I am planning to run a freehosting company and am thinking of going the post2host way. My main objective is to generate site traffic and rating so as to use the boost to boost up our future paid services endeavors... lol... I believe site rating is more important and hence will be focusing more on quality of service and support.

Now the thing is that there are so many freehosts nowadays and it might be difficult to compete with em from the start. So I need some guidance on how to go about developing this scheme! I have a working prototype running @ gellihosting . com and need to do more testing and tweaking before I make it live.

I would be more than grateful if anyone can give any tips, suggestions or atleast test my site. Any ideas are welcome.

To get into the free hosting game, you need to be prepared to lose money for the first several months.

Additionally, be prepared to offer AWESOME support. I have run both paid, and free hosts, and believe it or not, the free customers are more demanding than the paid ones.

With regards to growing your client base - for starters, add your site to your signature - essentially free advertising, as you are posting here anyway.

Cheers.

lol.. Am totally prepared to lose money for starters... Have purchased 3 servers and prepaid 1 year in advance for it. The main problem I am facing is if I should direct my service to a specific group (like open source projects) or to just keep it open for all. Also another thing is that for running the site, i need more staff members to provide support and manage the site...

I was an ex-free hoster, and you get nothing but trouble from free customer, constand illegal uploads, exssesive usage, complaints when you suspend them for breaking terms of service etc, it is very annoying, and they ruin your servers,

although you can meet some nice people, like kevin (colorhost.net), JJ (socheaphost.com), marijan (there site is in developmemt), saamxvr, they are all my favorates to deal with (and a couple more)

But the majority of people are there to basically shut you down (non-intentionally)!

Millir, I have to ask. Why did you start off with three servers, when one would do just dine until you grow. Seems like a waste of cash.

Actually 2 servers are for paid hosting. But our paid services hasn't kicked off yet, so they are at a standby for the free users. And the free server is off a VPS until am sure a dedi box will be reqd.

And mattster, I understand what you mean. That is a part of the reason why I am still hesitant and haven't yet started off the service although everything is set and ready since 2-3 weeks ago.

I am planning to provide only a max of 40-50 slots for free users with average diskspaces, but am still not sure.... :(

Last edited:
I would suggest offering modest amounts of space/transfer to hopefully avoid those who have the illegal sites and to keep those who have real regular personal sites.

Personally I am not a fan of p2h, but some may enjoy a community. I would think it is hard to have a p2h deal when first starting as alot of people do not like talking to themselves (though i seem to do so often lol)

Additionally, be prepared to offer AWESOME support. I have run both paid, and free hosts, and believe it or not, the free customers are more demanding than the paid ones.QUOTE]

I totally agree with this statement. I find that the paid clients tend to know more of what they are doing and the free clients need you to hold the hand. But same token if you help the free clients many of them will upgrade to a paid package in the future when there needs change.

If I were you, I would build up a solid client base of free customers, establish a good relationship them, and then at that point, suggest upgrading to a paid hosting account (i.e launch free for several months, then offer the paid upgrade option).

Cheers.

Free into Paid

Actually 2 servers are for paid hosting. But our paid services hasn't kicked off yet, so they are at a standby for the free users. And the free server is off a VPS until am sure a dedi box will be reqd. ...

I'll add my voice to the chorus congratulating you for working on what I believe is the best model of the free hosting, aka leadin to paid.

I have to remark that I don't care for post2host either, because when (not if!) the host folds/sells/changes up, that work in the posts vanishes. I happily do text links with modified variants of my page for the host it's on.

The key point is *longevity*. "Lose money for a few months..."? Be ready for a couple years. For me the key difference between free & paid service is I'll let the free hosts get away with junk I'd never accept from paid. So while the demographic may also be louder, use it as a chance to "public beta" everything about your service except the fee. Backend goes down for a day? Oh well. Hosed the remote boot command? Oops. Restore from your backup.

Folks, if y'all want to run a *business* I'd really rather not hear complaints about having to spend $500 on something. That's two paychecks from a crappy job. Nor do I want to hear "well, I started it in November but I got tired of it by April".

Run your host free for a year to iron out the junk. MilliR, offer me a LinkBack account and I'll add you to my host spread and talk you up if you make it. Current leads are still cWahi and Turesweb.

[QUOTE offer me a LinkBack account and I'll add you to my host spread and talk you up if you make it. Current leads are still cWahi and Turesweb.[/QUOTE]

How do I get in on that action?

Hosting - (Timelord/FiniteMedia)

[QUOTE offer me a LinkBack account and I'll add you to my host spread and talk you up if you make it. Current leads are still cWahi and Turesweb.

How do I get in on that action?[/QUOTE]

Head over to my Seek thread and post an offer. I think I'm converging on a Min disk space of at least a Gig or two, more if you want to showcase your host. Anything sensible for bandwidth works - I don't use a lot, and I'd rather it be really solid than flashily oversold.

Back