• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[How to] Fileserver site...

DarkBlood

NLC
NLC
People are just strange when it comes to hosting their own files and allowing people to download them. Well, you can basically do it with ANY host there is out there (even free hosts!) All you have to do is require whatever you want your maximum filesize that you will upload, how much bandwidth a day you will take up, and if you need a forum.

So basically if the host allows the below stuff... then you're all set.

- PHP / ASP / JSP / etc. (any programming language your site needs)
- Size of Account, which tells the host how much you will take up on their server.
- Maximum File Size, which will tell your hoster how big of files you will upload (3 MB is managable to a certain extent, but you may want to slim it down to 1.28 MB or so.)
- Forum or no forum? If you have a forum, specify what database you will be using (FlatFile, MySQL, etc.)

However, once this is all done; YOU MUST create a website pertraining with the theme of your uploaded files... otherwise make this site your homepage.

That's about it; however, if you're looking for ONLY file storage, then you best pack up and leave (only if you're lookin' for free hosts).

I dunno what forum to put this topic in, so i just put it in where I thought was the best place (i.e: website tips, etc.)

"Type of files" is missing in that list.
Some hosts disallow compressed files en certainly mp3's or others.
What you're saying above is true but only for pictures, pdf's, doc's etc.

Correct S. Clause; I did forget to include file types due to the fact a widespread amount of free hosts don't allow such. Another thing to add to paid hosts. :p

Back