• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How to create your own webhost

Originally posted by X-Istence
Do note that installing Linux can be a hard thing to do, and settin up Apache as well.
Installing Linux is pretty straightforward and easy, but you need to be an expert to use Linux advanced commands.

Re: Port 80

Originally posted by sharkbyte
im not sure if you have to use port 80 for a server anyways. i might be wrong though. check your server software's (ex:apache) config and see if there is an option to change the port #

Uhm, thanks. I knew that, that is why my apache runs on port 81.

i think an easy way to setup an free web host is free services that like portland.co.uk. Hey anyone other services like this you know .) i want it. :)

Yes...if you're not experienced enough to install/administer Linux and you don't have enough money to go to a junkyard/warehouse and get another hard drive for it you really shouldn't open a free host ;)

I agree

i agree. however, if an old friend of yours as an old computer (anyhting as low as a 486 with 6 megs of memory should do), he might give it to you. then all you need is a hard drive. actually, i have like 5 486's!

Sorry for bumping this old topic but i have a question on the wamp would it be able to be setup on a windows 95 computer

Re: ...

Originally posted by sharkbyte
actually, you dont NEED a fast connection nor a fast computer. its just reccomended. and also, i dont think that a slow computer affects the reliability,spped and downtime much especially if your running it in command mode (without x-windows), which you should probaly do if its a dedicated server since it might make the server more of everything and you wont be paying much attention to it.

also, you need to turn on your computer 24/7;)

Re: Re: ...

Originally posted by allanh
also, you need to turn on your computer 24/7;)

well, you dont HAVE to, but ifyou dont, yourvisitors will often find your site down. so i HIHGLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGhLY reccomend it.

My desktop is on 24/7 and I have installed Apache, PHP, MySQL, Perl, Herme's Mail Server, Pablo's FTP Server, etc. on it.

I use my notebook for everything else.

Back