• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How much should I sell hosting packages for?

WickyWonka

Hi I just bought a reseller hosting package which includes 40gb of space and 600 gb of bandwidth for $165 a year...the server is a pentium 4 2.53 ghz....(not sure if that helps but I think it might).

My current site is about photoshop tutorials, php tutorials, etc. and I would like to offer hosting also(not just like be mainly about hosting, i.e. a hosting company).

I'm not really good at this stuff but I do know quite a bit but how much should I sell hosting for? And what size packages should I sell?

It's only up to you!
That's not really about hosting, but more about marketing and some economical issues.
The only thing you should keep in mind is that, usually, 1GB bandwidth is 0.5USD-2USD and i think you will have to give PHP/MySQL (as much as possible), POP3/SMTP/IMAP email accounts (as much as possible), subdomains, and do not forget a nice panel, as CPanel or Ensim or Plesk or WHT (for resellers) and any other...
Btw, where did you buyed your account? It's really cheap! Are you sure they won't bankrupt?
[edit]
It may help you if you just browse through the Paid Hosting forum and visit some websites. This way you'll see with your own eyes. And also, be aware that you will need a criminal advertising policy to attract customers :classic2:
[/edit]

Last edited:
Criminal Advertising Policy?

I got the reseller hosting from a friend it was a VERY special offer you see. He has around 180 paying clients I think.

Besides the 40gb space and 600gb bandwidth heres what else i got:

Unlimited Domains
Unlimited Subdomains
WHM 7.2 Reseller Control Panels
Cpanel Version 7.2 Client Control Panels
Apache Web Server
Webmail built in
POP/IMAP Server Supported
Unlimited E-mail Aliases
Unlimited E-Mail Accounts
Unlimited Domain Aliases
Unlimited Autoresponders
Microsoft FrontPage Extensions
SSL Supported
CGI Supported
PHP Supported
MySQL Supported
Perl Supported
ASP for Apache
Java Servlets Supported
Custom Nameservers Available
Red Hat Linux 8.0 Software

Last edited:
I'm impressed, although RedHat8.0 doesn't seem to be VERY stamble...i would recommend the use of RedHat7.3 instead.
Anyway, i guess with some offers around:
200MB Space 500MB space so on...
2GB transfer 5GB transfer
*features* *features*
1.5USD/mo. 4.5-5USD/mo.
you should do a great biz.
Also, don't put the prices beyond the "normality", as you won't attract any customers by promising something GREAT with a new "hosting policy". Remember - there is no such a thing as unlimited bw, so don't call it.
Also try to hire one guy (i can work for you, PM or mail if interested) for support as i'm sure you won't be available 24/24, 7days/week. Include some special offers and discounts, and you're ready to go.

Im a little low on $$$ right now seeing as how I haven't started hosting anyone yet. How much would you want?

How much would you sell 750 mb space and 10gb bandwidth for? 1 gb space and 15 gb bandwidth?

Last edited:
That really depends. I guess you should set up a price between 9USD - 13USD for those plans.
By the other hand, i would require a small monthly ammount (as for 15-30USD/mo.) and bonuses for ticket responded, like 1USD per ticket responded & resolved. I could also help you with lot of netowrking/HTML/PHP/MySQL problems. Of course, i'm willing to negotiate and we can set up a small conversation via PM / email / IRC and others if you really want to know.
Best regards.
PS: criminal advertising policy = try to advertise on other web-sites (related to hosting, of course) your web-site for generate targeted income, but never use a banner exchange system - it looks so damn unprofessional.
[edit]
low prices when you start to attract customers. Not very low because you will scare them and they will wonder if you can "survive".
[/edit]

I'm also a startup but not a reseller... The way I do it is formulated. I'm not going to reveal the actual way I did it, but you need to figure out your business costs, how much you think you should earn, and how many clients you plan to host in your account/server. You can't just pick a price from 5-15 dollars because every host can handle different things. one host can offer a gig space and 15 gig bandwidth for 9 dollars and some might not. You can't offer too much because you need to compete and attract clients, but you also cannot offer too little because you won't be able to profit and become a successful business.

My opinion is that you should firstly crear up all these questions, gather the needed info, read articles, some manuals, etc. and only after this try to start selling hosting plans.

You simply can fall into a stupid situation one day, if you do not have enough knowledge about these things.

:confused2

Hi I just bought a reseller hosting package which includes 40gb of space and 600 gb of bandwidth for $165 a year...the server is a pentium 4 2.53 ghz....(not sure if that helps but I think it might).
Alright from this information, with bandwidth pricing it is costing you about $0.28/GB (USD). A pentium 4 2.53 is a good fast proc and should be a good selling point.

I'm not really good at this stuff but I do know quite a bit but how much should I sell hosting for? And what size packages should I sell?
This is mostly up to you. However, it costs you about $0.28/GB, therefore, you would obviously want to charge more. A good rate is anywhere from $0.60 to $.80/ GB. This would give you an advantage over most hosts as quite often they charge more per GB.

As for what size plans...I would say possibly: 100 MB Space, 250 MB, 500 Space, 750 MB Space, 1000 MB Space or something similiar would be a good niche to target. Bandwidth ranging depending upon how much you charge. Most hosts offer 1000 MB Space with around 10-15 GB Bandwidth for 10.00.

As Kate stated above, please make sure that you know what you are doing. If you need some cheap help in the form of tech support or some advice. Please feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help you out any way that I could. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Is what you calculated $0.28/GB a year? or a month? I think you are calcualting by year so would that make it a little over $.02GB/Month.....right?

By the way I got this package from a friend...he has an ebay account on ebay also and sometimes he offers these types of packages...i didnt get mine off of ebay though from him...here check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2744552762&category=undefined

its basically the same thing he's getting me.

Last edited:
if you got a free account from a friend, don't start this business. You will get into a big disappointment if you become successful and he decides he wants to take it from you.

I have heard alot of ebay type hosts, I wonder if there is really any market possibilities in ebay. :confused2

I checked the bid history and it does seems wierd, of all 27 bids only 4 unique bidders and disc0 seems to like the hosting plans alot :biggrin2:

Wow, thought the year part was a typo. Personally, since you got this from ebay, I really wouldn't trust it at all. These type servers are way oversold and often present problems. Try starting out with something a little more realistic.

HeHe...they guarantee over 99.9% uptime :eek:
Now to be honest, i can't see why they wouldn't sell it for much more on their web-page, if he is a part of a hosting company. The prices are way too low to be trusted. :confused2

Back