• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How many devices can connect to one Wireless N router?

aggiedude

I have a DIR-625 by DLink and lately I have been experiencing a lot of issues keeping a signal and internet connection. I think this is mostly because in a matter of 3 months I went from 3 devices to 11 devices. So I was searching around to see how many devices the DIR-625 was supposed to be able to handle and can't find anything. I was hoping to find something like Apple has with its Airport where it claims to handle 50 users right on the spec sheet, however, I found nothing. Anyone know where or how I could figure out this? Or rather if 11 devices on this router without a doubt is not suggested? I know there's gotta be someone on here who knows some of the more detailed tech stuff with routers. Thanks in advance!

From what I know it just depends. Depending on your network capabilities and the ip leasing setup that you have in place on the router, usually, the default settings aren't restrictive so that everyone can get on.

1 user can really spoil the fun for all users depending on the usage going on, on that computer.

With the signal issues, how far away is the unit from the computers having signal issues?

I really cant imagine anyone is doing something that is ruining it for everyone else...but who knows? And as far as signal issues go they will occur far away and sometimes literally a few inches from the router...it just depends on the router feels that day.

I had a Linksys Wireless-N router and quickly sold it on eBay due to the same problems you're experiencing. I know you aren't using a Linksys but you have to remember that Wireless-N is still Draft(Beta?). I'm now using a Netgear DG834GT and have no problems whatsoever.

Do you guys run bittorrent or limewire? Make sure you turn sharing off and don't seed using bittorrent. I have noticed that it slows the internet connection really bad. I would make sure that your wireless networks are secured with WPA or WEP.

There's a few things you might try. First look into changing the operating channel of the router (there's a lot of channels in the 2.4GHz band for you to get away from interference). At 2.4GHz, there is also a lot of interference (cordless phones, other Wifi networks, microwaves and much more).

If changing the channel doesn't work, you could also try removing devices one by one to see if one of them isn't causing issues.

You could also try to change the router's location. Since the antennas aren't so great on the basic units. If all that doesn't work, try changing the antenna's to something with over 5dBi of gain (it might also be written as dBm)

Hope that helps.
If you have other questions about the RF part of the issue, let me know, I'm sure I can find the answer)

Back