• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How long you believe you gonna be hosted?

Just a point with under 18s running hosting, who is going to give support when you are at school and sleeping? Judging by the spelling of some I have seen, you need to concentrate on your studies more. Leave the hosting until you have finished school.

In my humble opinion, large scale hosting (free or non-free) can only be long lasting if there are enough manpower, financial backing behind the business. It has to be a proper business as well (eg properly registered with the government agencies, paying taxes for the business, having a proper office....etc).

whilst age is not a limiting factor to ability and dedication, however, it is generally unfitting for a minor to run a proper business (ever being to a shop owned and runned by a 15 yr-old)?

Umm...Did you know entering into a legal contract where the minor has not stated they are a minor is null and void? :D

Originally posted by zoobie
Umm...Did you know entering into a legal contract where the minor has not stated they are a minor is null and void? :D

well, while I don't study laws, I am sure that minors can not run their own businesses.

I think that all of you are right in saying that young people shouldn't be running hosting businesses because they have more critical priorities, such as school and life. However, I do not believe that young administrators are any less responsible or capable than adults. Although theoretically this should be true, it certainly doesn't hold true when it comes to free hosting. I have just seen downright irresponsible adults running free hosts, and I am pretty certain that the rate of successful free hosts run by adults is just about as low as the rate of those run by minors. In any case, I think that anyone who has not finished getting a bachelors/masters/doctorate (or whatever college degree you plan on getting) should not be running a hosting business of any kind.

And Clyderman, I hope you never have children. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by conkermaniac
In any case, I think that anyone who has not finished getting a bachelors/masters/doctorate (or whatever college degree you plan on getting) should not be running a hosting business of any kind.
I think anyone aiming that high in their education won't be aiming at playing around with hosting ;) They would be looking at careers that earn them a hell of a lot more bucks than hosting would ever give them :)

from wat i gather hosting on the whole doesn'ty earn you a lot of money?

especialy now anways.. maybe befoer when the FIRST few hosting companies came out

OK let's see

if i set up a host i would try to provide the best service possible, like X-Istence said, we just can't have automatic registrations, every aplication must be checked, and we must always try to see what our hosted people are doing with the service that we provide to them. When we define rules, they have to follow them as well as we do.. we cannot say "99% up-time" and then simply ignore the server and let it go with the flow, if we say "99%" up-time, we must do our best to keep it that way,, and if we say "don't use this service to store your files", and "if within 1 week, your site hasn't been put online, and there is no activity within your part, you will be warn, and if within 3 days there is no answer, you account will be deleted", and the users just ignore those rules, then it's 'NEXT' time, because there are a lot of people trying to create sites for other people, with useful information, not some useless information that only a few see it, and only ONCE, the site doesn't even has regular updates to it's content, if it was to be meant like this (not having updates), then don't choose a Host that supports PHP and MySQL, go with the basic service on Angelfire and others.

About expenses, it's ok to have a few ads, we could do like Breezeland, the admin clicks them, not the users that visit our hosted, of course that we can't get a lot of money from this, even if it just pays our expenses, it's GREAT!!, but if we started a FREE service, we couldn't be waiting for huge piles of money, right ?!? If it is, then start your paid Host, and see if your hosted ones are participating, as the free ones(if you pick them by finger, of course), have support and that doesn't costs so much, if we are doing just because we like it.... (i don't really know how to say it in English but... it's like this ' dog that runs for pleasure doesn't get tired ' ) :) - I'm from portugal sorry if it ain't like this, and i'm not calling a dog to anyone out there.... :)

About the 15 year old matter, ok, i'm confused here, .... ok... if a 15 year old has de logistics and capability to start it, and he wants to make it serious, and all, ok, start your own server, but please, make it serious and you don't need excellent layout's, just a GOOD DAMN service, and warn you hosted how things are doing, because if i were hosted by anyone, I would like to know how things were doing, if it was going to move or simply dying in a couple of weeks... so I say go ahead, start your own free host, but keep it serious, and not just because you can, and if you feel so just shut it down, we are all people and make mistakes, but if you are going to shut down you servers tomorrow, warn your hosted TODAY!!...

My Host (if I had one) :) (maybe someday) !!
-90 Mb (or 150, if the site were really good!, and could have more)
-3Gb Bw (users, could request more, but only, only if necessary)
-PHP
-MySQL
-About the ads, just the sufficient to keep the expenses, no profit needed...
-A lot more stuff... everything needed to keep up a good site!
-and the guarantee of a great service...

Users picked by finger, and a powered button, on the pages, a quite small one...

I don't really know if it is really good, but it's what I need and i just can't make up my mind about wich server to use, i don't know if they are going to last a month, a year, a week..... :sad2:, so in the meanwhile, just keeping regular visits to FWS and checking the daily survivors... :)

(I know, you are :tired2: and almost :sleeping2 ) .... but this is the end...

Well as a free webhost i could say i dont know how long i will be up but i also offer paid hosting too so ya know there are several things, like auto sign up scripts a free host shouldnt have those they should go through the sign ups and stuff we will have an auto sign up thing but it will be very strict. I think that hosts like hostultra will last for about a year or 2 more because of the plans he is jsut begging for abusive service

Originally posted by Excelex.net
I think that hosts like hostultra will last for about a year or 2 more because of the plans he is jsut begging for abusive service
Hostultra have been live for 16 months, so they must be doing something right ;)

Originally posted by Jan
Just a point with under 18s running hosting, who is going to give support when you are at school and sleeping? Judging by the spelling of some I have seen, you need to concentrate on your studies more. Leave the hosting until you have finished school.

SO true

LMAO

hmmmmmmm

I mean no offense but as to 'exalted hosting'. I get a strange feeling with a 2gb website for $5 a month.--whats the discount if paying yearly?

As to the FREE. I can understand a survival pattern of screaning websites but as to ME,MYSELF AND I.... I have other things in life I have to do and to hold onto a website it means you gotta edit every 2 days or 7 days or site is gone? Maybe this is the 12 year old thing. Most adults have things going in life where they are going to be away 72 hours. Its summer here.I go on camping trips 3-4 weeks.(dial-up in the woods?) I have trips often where I'm away longer than 72 hours.

Now if I had no drivers license and really nothing to do but wait to the age I can legally drink I'm here 24/7/30/365 (except leap year) to edit websites every 72 hours or loose them.

ooo..I'm being nasty?

Re: hmmmmmmm

Originally posted by zz4
I mean no offense but as to 'exalted hosting'. I get a strange feeling with a 2gb website for $5 a month.--whats the discount if paying yearly?

As to the FREE. I can understand a survival pattern of screaning websites but as to ME,MYSELF AND I.... I have other things in life I have to do and to hold onto a website it means you gotta edit every 2 days or 7 days or site is gone? Maybe this is the 12 year old thing. Most adults have things going in life where they are going to be away 72 hours. Its summer here.I go on camping trips 3-4 weeks.(dial-up in the woods?) I have trips often where I'm away longer than 72 hours.

Now if I had no drivers license and really nothing to do but wait to the age I can legally drink I'm here 24/7/30/365 (except leap year) to edit websites every 72 hours or loose them.

ooo..I'm being nasty?

If I was hosting you, and you knew you were going to be away for sometime, you could warn, thru email, i'm human, so i can think thru myself and instead of deleting your account because there was no activity, i would wait, and see... i'm not saying that you have to live to your site, and eat in front of your monitor, sleep 4~5h, just to don't have your account deleted, there should be some comunication thru the host and the hosted, not saying evry week or month, but when necessary.

And i'm just here checking the forums everyday, because i work for a portuguese webdeveloper's company, so i'm always connected to the internet, and i read the post, with others opinion about host services. And besides 'our' site isn't online yet because that we are working and got few time to work on the site. And we just don't go to a portuguese paid one, because we (us 3) are all working on a trainee base and don't get paid because we are thru our school..
but you can be sure that if we have luck to find a job, and ous site is realy atracting people, we would certainly move to a paid one, since free ones not often offer good space with good bw and no ads....

i'm sure there are out there some that do, and some even offer better ervices than some paid one, but paid hosts have more chances to survive than free ones, if they get the costumers... of course

ok...thanks

I did not mean to be nasty and was sort of joking.

I have trouble keeping up to everything here. When Hotmail Free Email went to 30 days I forget to make it there every 30 days.

As to website hosting at least to me any under 30 day stuff is too much for me. Theres just simply too many things I do here and SOMETIMES I might even miss a 30 day requirement.

Thats what is nice about paid hosting. Pay and nothing vanishes if not living there 24/7.

Appreciate anybody thats willing to offer anything FREE.

The 15 year old stuff? Did I start that? I simply have some experiences myself with pay hosting. I could write a book about the problems. One place buys out cheapie hosting companies and sells webhosting promising grandfathered prices. In short the hosting works but nothing else does.(billing,support,etc.) The support messageboard if theres a problem people get jumped on nasty. Moderated by_______ Senior Linux Representive.... Then its found he's something like 14. Right now I'm trying to renew for a year. Last year it took 3 months to renew.(and about 300000 screen shots of old records because they seem to keep none) I won't feed them a credit card so pay by money order.

again you are right, people often can't 'follow' some rules, like some i saw, and i'm sure that when my traine job finishes, so will my regular presence in FWS, i don't even have internet at home, althought i'm currently seriously thinking about installing a cable connection, but as most 20 y old students, still ain't got a job and my mother can't be my 'bank' forever... :) , so i think first i will get a job, install a web connection, get a host, upload website, ''start my own company''(yeah right, just kiddin, but who knows... :)), .... don't know...

zz4 you, again, also have a point in paid hosting, but as i said they always have better chances to survive, even if the people behind them are 15y old, if it gives them real money, i'm sure they woul only stop the service if they didn't need it.....

Re: hmmmmmmm

Originally posted by zz4

If you saw the size od the server, you wouldn't find it strange. Most people don't even have that account for the storage, just the bandwith. i have about 600 sites on that server, about 70% have the larger account. Server has 4X120GB HD's, server is currently using 40gigs of that.
Discount for paying yearly is one month free.

If you figure it. If I had 3 people paid for one year, that is 55 per [erson times 3 equals $165, which has paid for one of the HD's (Auctually overpaid). Now, take that compaired to how manny sites are on the server. THe server is paif for already, and i could auctually stop hosting on it, but it isn't even 1/4th full.

So i don't see what the big deal is???
That is all
Chris Allessi II
Exalted Hsoting

Back