• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How long you believe you gonna be hosted?

Originally posted by ClyderMan
Just accidently run on one host (not gonna name host) who offer free hosting to me, when some hour later when account was set up asked his age... he said 15 year, and when asked how long this host have been in hosting business, ansver was 4 days, I wrote back and said "you're kidding me" but ansver was "it's true" :rolleyes:
How do you think Amazon started out? It was 4 days old once. I don't get why people have to wait and see if a free service is reliable after years...SOMEONE's gotta try it first.
As for the fact that the kid was only 15...you'd be surprised how reliable some 15-year-olds can be. Check in a 4-H meeting some time.
Also, how do you know it's on a dialup on the kid's Windows gaming box? For all you know, it's on a T1 dedicated UNIX PIII 750+ MHz box in his basement!

Nothing bad about 15 year olds, but they should not definitely own and work as hosts in my mind, even if they are clever guys they can not take responsibility that needs in running hosting company.

I know somwbody has to the first clients, but I dont wanna be number one of the first. Second, it depends of how trustable and reliable host you need, right? Third, if you cant find any info about domains or ip numbers it feels suspicious to me.

Finally, it's not about Amazon or similars ;)

Ah, so you have something against 15 year olds running a web server?

Well here i go, i am a 15 year old kid working for a webhost, keeping their servers up to date, keeping it running and in the mean time i advertise for them, and keep my own site going.

I get more respect than any of you probably think, i used to run section5.net/section4.net like it was my own, but i didnt own one part of it. I helped people out, i ran a host that was gone after some troubles with the other DC's where we had been and moved from since they didnt have what we wanted.

Time was put into this, and i was part of that. I put my free time into helping it succeed, as i am currently doing for the host i now work for. So now you are wondering, and does he get paid? You know what, ill be honest, i dont. But i do recieve something back which is more valuable to me. Knowledge, i like to learn, become better at stuff, and i need more knowledge for that, and that is what i get. I might get my site hosted for free on the side, but its more the learning part that i care about.

Another thing you people forget, is that 15 year olds can be quite smart and know more than adults in this "computer era". You know why? This is because they grew up with technology, have had it available to them since they were young.

Its a funny thing that at 13 i allready knew PHP like the back of my hand, and at 15 i am allready studying and learning college level C++. That my friend takes a lot of skill, plus the want to learn more on the subject.

I know this was about kids running a webhost, but all i was trying to point out is that even a 14 year old can run a free webhost, he is not underqaulified or not good enough. The only thing they need to keep in mind is the stress it can be. And i think its stupid not to accept hosting because a host is up 4 days, you can try them, dont like em, just move on.

So please stop bashing "kids running webhosts" but rather bash free webhosts that are run by people who cant manage it.

Note: my 1000th post, get my own user title now :).

'Amen, that'll preach' (sorry, OOC quote from my youth group ;))
Go X-Istence! I completely agree! :biggrin2:
Age has nothing to do with it. The ONLY way it can matter is that nasty legal stuff...liability, labor laws, etc.

zz4, comparing free hosting to putting a can of soup in a donation bin is...a bad comparison.

Free hosting isn't about "donation". No one "needs" a personal website. Especially most of the crap that is out there. Large free hosts are in for the money -- that's why they have ads. Small free hosts may opt to go it without ads. Why? Maybe they are just nice...they have resources, and want to share. Sharing is not the same as donation. They aren't supporting a "free" internet, they are supporting a "nice" internet. You know, giving something for nothing in return -- being nice.

I see no reason for the internet to be "free". If you wanted a roadmap 20 years ago, you go to the store and buy it. So now, why should you be able to go visit a website and download it for free? People still have to do work in publishing the map...it still costs money to produce, even if it is an electronic file. But, it doesn't have to be shipped, the store doesn't have to pay someone to put it on the shelf -- instead, someone pays to run the server, etc. Now, I am rambling here, but I hope the following point is clear. The government didn't pay the store to provide you with the roadmap 20 years ago, so why should they give you free internet so you can go download it?

Anyways, the bottom line is if you can't get it for free, pay for it.

What someone said eariler was right...15 year olds have been on the comp for 7 years already...twice as long as myself. It's no wonder the "super-virus" maker is a bored pimply faced 15 year old either.

What I said earlier still holds...There's several ways to get quality paid hosting...absolutely free...but you have to be creative. :cool:

-- the 15 year old attack...

Hey..I was 15 once and probably many would like to be again.

Also its true that 15 year olds have more brains than old people. I think the human brain starts loosing cells in the 20's?

Its the experience thing. Old people slow down but have more lifetime experience.

Hosting? I'm kinda tired of hosting thats some 'fun game'...even educational? that comes and goes faster than you can even figure out whats going on. Don't most want to upload or create a website somewhere thats going to last longer than 30 days because the owner/operator moved on to 'new things'?

As to FREE. I guess that subject could be thrown around forever. Correct is===nobody NEEDS a website. An exception might be a business. BUT--thats what I fear as to the great free internet. Once there were maybe 500-1000 free hosts. (probably more if you snooped) Unlimited free options for everybody.

I had fun. Multi-Millions had fun. Even websurfing was fun.--and educational.....

As of 2003 I almost gave up with any new free host. I used to try them all. Now its about 100% all will disappear or play a free=pay thing. I hear about HostUltra is it? I'm not knocking them but at least initially I got tired of signing up and sites vanishing multiple times.

I mostly now still play with freebie hosts that have been around for awhile.The big places.Naturally the ads get worse and future unknown as to any free concept.

I have 8 pay sites at places I bought into with promises of grandfathered prices/plans. I have had good luck so far.Some have horrible luck.

I sit back and wonder. Next year why am I paying for webspace when I'm non-commercial non-profit hobby style? I DO NOT NEED ANY WEBSPACE.

I can't be the only person thinking as such.

So the internet becomes just a directory of businesses selling things. Only need it to dial up and buy something.

Again..at least I had fun. The old Geocities with the community concept. Angelfire that said you could add an ad to your site if you were nice and only if desired.---and you could even donate to your local school..

I think its http://www.archive.org/ you can look at old webpages.

FortuneCity was a collection of millions having 'fun'. Old Xoom. http://www.xoom.it/ still exists.(last I knew) Go.Com TheGlobe

he-he..AcmeCity bought by Time-Warner and closed.(Time-Warner could not afford it)

eeeks..I guess reality was WHO pays for it.

MSN FREE PHOTO just went all pay. Bill Gates is broke.

I still think though there can be a philosophy thing. Donate time/resources or 100% philosophy NOTHING can be free.

ok...kiddies....I know I'll need your help but I'd swear I'll eventually get some webserver here. Its still education for me and my age would scare you. This would be a whole new topic but a webserver when my phone company guarantees 9600 bauds? I get about 30k on dial-up and cry but told I'm so far out in sticks what do I want?

Who's good at hacking and security? 15 year olds..right?

Let people into my computer? No education on security?

Webserver. I'd simply prefer to know and pay for actually what things cost vs. paying to somebody thats trying to make maximum profit off me.

Last edited:
Re: Re: How long you believe you gonna be hosted?

Originally posted by ibfw
Clyderman, I agree 100%, some ( A LOT ) of these "wannabe" hosts are just KIDS trying to meddle in "BUSINESS" for "FUN"

I remember months ago I posted asking for AGE and other information from FREE HOST PROVIDERS and NO ONE listed their info

and I also suggested back then that it was "KIDS" trying to PLAY HOSTS, trying to SERVE from their DSL and sometimes 56 K connection ( LMAO )

Stay away from TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE offers and FWS providers thats not a business thats verifiable
First, you have no right to ask them to reveal their information. It's called PRIVACY.

And people doing free hosting are making a contribution on the internet, not like you who whines about a host closing down. i'm sure the host will try its best to keep it running. We aren't robots you know, we can change our mind. And money doesn't drop from the sky.

Just accidently run on one host (not gonna name host) who offer free hosting to me, when some hour later when account was set up asked his age... he said 15 year, and when asked how long this host have been in hosting business, ansver was 4 days, I wrote back and said "you're kidding me" but ansver was "it's true" :rolleyes:

I hade an account allready there but I couldn't stay there when it was runned by modem and some home computer systems using windows server? Maybe i'm too suspicious, bet i smell a big risc to stay if need a host for longer period :confused:

This is the big problem...they dont allways tell you what kind of hosts they are, and if you seek stable host for longer time you can get big surprise one day when host has shut down. How can some 15 year old person take response for anything, I'm really wonder? I think it is a "daddy pay" toy system :rolleyes:
My friend (i am an admin there) runs a host and he is around 15 too. And it has been running since November 2002.

There is always a first for everything. You shouldn't even attempt getting a free host (or even a paid one) if you're not adventurous enough to try it out.

I believe with proper management and handling, a host can survive quite long. But it can be quite a difficult task. After so much effort, someone might just DDoS the website or something... Hosting isn't as simple as you think. It isn't just set-up, get script, host.

It involves: buy/get server and software, set up, firewall, layout etc.

If you think its really so easy, try it.

Re: Re: Re: How long you believe you gonna be hosted?

Hey, I'm not trying to be a host and therefore I can express all my oppinions about young hosting (dad pay) toys!

I dont wanna make a hell of job to setup my pages, forums etc. and then observe server host is shutting down right after this.

Who whines, I made a topic of this for discussion, and here is many other who think same way as I do. There should in fact be a law that says you must keep host running at last 6-12 months when start it, if you cant...dont start hosting at all :D

p.s after one week looking at this free (daddy pay toy to boy)craphostings I went back to paid hosting becuse all you mostly get for free is shit, garbage and problems :D

Finally, it's free for everone ti choose, if you want poor hosting go for some teenager hostings, if you want quality hosting, pay for it from some stable hosting company who has been in hosting business for some time allready....easy...isn't it :cool:

Originally posted by trenzterra
First, you have no right to ask them to reveal their information. It's called PRIVACY.

And people doing free hosting are making a contribution on the internet, not like you who whines about a host closing down. i'm sure the host will try its best to keep it running. We aren't robots you know, we can change our mind. And money doesn't drop from the sky.

Last edited:
You have no idea how many older 20-30 year old jackasses who run webhosting businesses and can't keep up their server... Why aren't 15 year olds responsible? If they're dedicated to it, they can run it as good as any host out there.

I'm sure a 15 year old boy can run hosting, but can they take same responsibility as an older over 20 year old person for this too....I say NO becuase they are child still :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: How long you believe you gonna be hosted?

Hey, I'm not trying to be a host and therefore I can express all my oppinions about young hosting (dad pay) toys!

I dont wanna make a hell of job to setup my pages, forums etc. and then observe server host is shutting down right after this.

Who whines, I made a topic of this for discussion, and here is many other who think same way as I do. There should in fact be a law that says you must keep host running at last 6-12 months when start it, if you cant...dont start hosting at all :D

p.s after one week looking at this free (daddy pay toy to boy)craphostings I went back to paid hosting becuse all you mostly get for free is shit, garbage and problems :D

Finally, it's free for everone ti choose, if you want poor hosting go for some teenager hostings, if you want quality hosting, pay for it from some stable hosting company who has been in hosting business for some time allready....easy...isn't it :cool:
There is no way anyone can expect it to run for 6 to 12 months. What happens if halfway, some --- decide to DDoS it or constantly flood it, the hoster has to go to jail? Or what? You didn't think about other factors, besides being bust.

And please don't look down on 15 year olds. There are certainly young people who are better than adults.

I'm sure a 15 year old boy can run hosting, but can they take same responsibility as an older over 20 year old person for this too....I say NO becuase they are child still :D
Why not?

Everything he has tried to make a point on has been shot down and dropped on the floor faster than a brick falling from a plane.

15 year olds are fine to do hosting, they know what they are doing i say they go for it.

I nowadays pay for my site, since i dont like ads, plus i too have gone from the good free hosting to where it is now, and i can tell you, where it stands now is not all that pretty.

Re: Re: Re: How long you believe you gonna be hosted?

Originally posted by trenzterra

Hmm, you're the AH thats WHINING, because people refuses to SETTLE for BULLSH** they are whining ?

take your illiterate 15 YO *** somewhere else with that SHEEP attitude BOY

If voicing an opinion is WHINING, then SHUT YOUR WHINING *** up also :)

BTW: UNLIKE YOU ( freeloader ) who are on a FREE HOST, I HAVE a PAID HOST dumb***

and I STILL have EVERY RIGHT to COMPLAIN about a host thats dishing out BS

now shut your trap and talk about stuff that you know instead of being a browserthug, imbecile :biggrin2:
not EVERYONE is a SHEEP like you, son

I

Am another who says age doesnt mean S*I*.

Here is my story:

Years hosting, 2 years, 3 months, and I think 18 days.

# of servers, 19.

Number of resellers currently hosting with Exalted Hosting: about 600.

Number of active sites being hosted by Exalted Hosting: about 20 thousand.

Current number of sites being hosted through our free service (not counted in above): about 2,000

total number of cancelations of reseller accounts since we started hosting: 37. 8 of those we canceled due to abuse, either spamming, phronography, irc's, well, u get the idea.

Number of employees at Exalted Hosting: 4. This includes Myself (i do the server managment, make sure it's all running smoothly) 2 of my cousins, one does sales. another does account setup.
and one Full time tech. Their is alway someone watching the servers. usually 2 people. But at least one. I always have a dedicated cell phone with me just for the servers. If somthing goes down, My cell phone is automatically dialled.

Current plans by Exalted Hosting.

We are working with the company IVN (www.CyberTown.com) as a merger. We are doing somthing along the lines of what Earthlink and Star Trek did.

Next plans: we have an offer in for a building that we are planning on forming our own datacenter. Currently, it looks like we may be closing the deal within the next month, and moving in the month after.

I don't see why these people are so secretive??? Unless they do have somthing to hide. Most of my customers do not know my or my cousins ages. and the ones who do, could not believe what greate service we offer.

Sure, their are some of thos hostkiddies or whatever you called them. But their are also some of us who have found a market nich, are responsiable and going to be around. Would you say 2 years 3 months is long time providing HIGH quality service???

Chris Allessi II
Exalted Hosting
www.ExaltedHosting.net

forgot to mention, one of my cousins is 11, other is 15.

I also have an 11 year old reseller. he is raking in the cash. he is hosting 50 sites at $10/month per site.

Back