• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How long you believe you gonna be hosted?

ClyderMan

I'm really wonder about this "offers" here because who can trust in these young hostingboys who try to be hosts? Looks most of them is young boys who think it's fun to play hosts. When some time has gone they find out it's not so fun, and they shut down hosting, and you are there without host.

I would like to see more trustable host offers, and those sharing boys away from here who cant host, or hosting quality is under all critics. To host for free or give space for free definitely dont mean that you can deal all kind of garbage to people and then say, but it's free...what do you wait from free host, this is no any excuse. Dont offer your crap, try to find some quality and guranties of keep your hosting running for longer than max 4-6 months. Dont start hosting only for fun :angry2:

ClyderMan, the majority who start free hosting, do so because they believe they can offer it and that it will last. But they are usually unprepared for all the abuse that the hundreds that sign up inflict on them. That or they went into it too fast and didn't have much of an idea what they were doing.

Their intentions are good, but they need to take advice and read a bit more about the all the failures and take note of why they failed.

Originally posted by Jan
ClyderMan, the majority who start free hosting, do so because they believe they can offer it and that it will last. But they are usually unprepared for all the abuse that the hundreds that sign up inflict on them. That or they went into it too fast and didn't have much of an idea what they were doing.

Their intentions are good, but they need to take advice and read a bit more about the all the failures and take note of why they failed.
agree, they have not known the problem (what will happen)after they offer free host.

so many free host down as many sign-ups and many abusers:(

Clyderman, it is very hard to be profitable in the free web hosting business. I assume since you call them "hostingboys" and the like, that you are not a youngin', so why not use your CC and buy some quality hosting?

A few things...

I see you are from Scandinavia. Most likely your sites language is not english, and therefore you are turned down by many free hosts. The free host has to pay for your hosting, and earns money back from the ads. Ad companies won't pay for traffic from non-english sites, therefore the free host is running a loss if they host you.

There is a LOT of abuse. Warez and other illegal sites, using email accounts for spam, and more problems cause free hosts lots of time and grief. About 1 in 100 people actually follow the rules. I tried cobrand hosting once, and this was the result I got. 100 people signed up within 2 days, and only 1 site was english. I found links at Arabic message boards with descriptions in Arabic on how to sign up. My rules explicitly stated that only english sites were allowed.

Hosting is not cheap. Sure, hosting one site is. You can get a site with 5 GB of bandwidth for $30 USD a year. Think about how much time spending that $30 will save you. You end with a very high quality host, that will not go down in a week.

Hosting requires lots of effort. Writing the signup and admin pages are very time consuming. Then debugging once you go live. And helping members solve their problems. It takes effort, and all this effort is in a hope to break even.

I have experiences of paid hosting, i have been hosted on few paid hosts, some better than other. But take a look at the messages here about offer this and that...mumber of offers dont even work or exist after few days?

I know they want to help and try their best, but what i mean is to not run into this hosting only because dad pay for toys to boys, and then when first troubles come ahead, they find out it's too hard and not fun anymore...then someone is without host :rolleyes:

This have nothing to do with my private hosting or age Canuckkev, if i want host i can pay for it if need it. If i want free hosting you have nothing to do with this choise or reasons, am I right :cool:

The problem with these great free hosts with their not-so-great features is that most of cool important features have been disabled. They couldn't possibly enable these for free because the little kiddies would abuse the host and bring them down. Only thru paying for an account with a credit card will keep the little kiddies out.

PS - If you would like free hosting with all the features enabled, PM me and I will tell you how. You should be willing to have a text-link or small ad on your site in return for this kind of account. :cool:

I can inform you Canuckkev, that nobody has never turned me down for my swedish, finnish or my weak english language, do you spoke 3 languages?

They unerstand that i'm not native english speaking person, and are very friendly! They're not as rasistic as you...wich marks you show here when mention that someone turn you down for your language, how dear you?

Originally posted by Canuckkev
Clyderman, it is very hard to be profitable in the free web hosting business. I assume since you call them "hostingboys" and the like, that you are not a youngin', so why not use your CC and buy some quality hosting?

A few things...

I see you are from Scandinavia. Most likely your sites language is not english, and therefore you are turned down by many free hosts. The free host has to pay for your hosting, and earns money back from the ads. Ad companies won't pay for traffic from non-english sites, therefore the free host is running a loss if they host you.

<quote>
They unerstand that i'm not native english speaking person, and are very friendly! They're not as rasistic as you...wich marks you show here when mention that someone turn you down for your language, how dear you?
</quote>

The guy from Canada has not portrayed racist remarks about your ethnic background at all. As a fact all of the Anglo-Saxon race that makes up the majority of the "new" english speaking countries have Nordic origins anyway.

He was explaining to you the ethos of advertising for the free webhoster and assumed as I did from your post that you were annoyed (as if you had been rejected) with the freehosting world that is populated by "yes" the underage would be super gurus, who had no consideration for the long term customer that was there for the "long haul".

Originally posted by ClyderMan
Dont start hosting only for fun :angry2:
Why not, exactly? Sure, don't start it if you're not going to follow through with it...but why not start it for fun? There is no problem with starting a free host for fun. It's a service to you, so sucks to be you if you don't like it, because who knows, maybe the person who starts a free host for fun is trying to learn, not provide a service to people, but in the act of learning must take on some sort of load. Example, John Public here wants to learn more about server administration. So, he colos a box that's been sitting in his basement and starts up a small free service to learn more about server load under a shared server, etc. But then, lo and behold, he goes out of business, whether the project is over or because the colo shut him down due to abuse we do not know. But it was a free service, so you can't get angry that he shut down...if you don't want to be shut down, settle in with a paid company with a long and good rep and quit whining.

Yeah yeah....setup hosts and shut them down after 2 weeks, is that what you wants, hey comeon!
Is it where you want to setup web or forum? If so, go for it :D

Your best bet for a free host is either angelfire, Pro Hosting or geocities. After my experience with myJspace, Im weary of any of the offers on the table. I guess I should have realised by the language skills presented on myJspace, that it was children running the place.
With prohosting you get the same banner, but you also get
50 MEGS
3 Gigabyte Transfers
1 FTP Account
Site Creation Utility
E-mail Support

and more...
Geocities has benefits of 5 meg upload, and a good site builder if you dont know html.
Angelfire still has ftp upload, and I have yet to find an upload limit.
Anyhoot, go with someone who is reputable, stay away from new places if you have a serious site, and read read read the reviews.
It ticks me off these people who call free site users whiners. Most people that use free services dont have the income to buy space. So calling names or being sarcastic is really hurtful. I wish people would have more tact.

IMR

Last edited:
if i had a a reseller account... the specs id give out for hosting would be

25 mb (upgradeable to 50 on request)
500 mb bw (upgradeable to 1 gig if you use more than 500)
ftp
online webmaager

thats abt it.. no fancy this n that.. maybe php

Originally posted by netnexus
if i had a a reseller account... the specs id give out for hosting would be

25 mb (upgradeable to 50 on request)
500 mb bw (upgradeable to 1 gig if you use more than 500)
ftp
online webmaager

thats abt it.. no fancy this n that.. maybe php

PHP ain't fancy.

If I was with a host that had been up for 1 year or so, I would think I would be hosting with them for ages.

If I was with a host with a professional design, but new, I would expect 1-3 months.

If I was with a host that looked crappy and new, I would expect to be hosted for a few days. (maybe less)

Last edited:
Seeing as i was part of this free hosting business i thought id let you all know how we survived.

1. DO NOT have automatic signups, this kills free hosts
2. DO NOT allow anyone and everyone
3. Learn to say NO

We had abuse allright, but as time went one we got smarter, got rid of the people abusing the service and signing up more than once, and that is when it started going better.

We had a total of 300 people on the server. All with the following:

100 MB Space
3 GB Bandwidth
cPanel and everything else.
PHP ( Safemode of, yes we had gotten rid of all the abuse and had just a userbase left that wanted good hosting )
MySQL
POP3
SMTP

We primarily hosted domain's and allowed sub-domains off of our main domain.

By following the top 3 rules, we could give 300 people quality hosting for almost a year, till the owner was getting fed up with other providers that we also bought servers from for a bit, that were still charging him after we left.

To any host going into hosting, good luck, and be smart. You CAN leave PHP safe mode off, as long as you choose wisely on who to host.

X-Istence

Originally posted by ClyderMan I'm really wonder about this "offers" here because who can trust in these young hostingboys who try to be hosts? Looks most of them is young boys who think it's fun to play hosts. When some time has gone they find out it's not so fun, and they shut down hosting, and you are there without host.

I would like to see more trustable host offers, and those sharing boys away from here who cant host, or hosting quality is under all critics. To host for free or give space for free definitely dont mean that you can deal all kind of garbage to people and then say, but it's free...what do you wait from free host, this is no any excuse. Dont offer your crap, try to find some quality and guranties of keep your hosting running for longer than max 4-6 months. Dont start hosting only for fun :angry2:

Clyderman, I agree 100%, some ( A LOT ) of these "wannabe" hosts are just KIDS trying to meddle in "BUSINESS" for "FUN"

I remember months ago I posted asking for AGE and other information from FREE HOST PROVIDERS and NO ONE listed their info

and I also suggested back then that it was "KIDS" trying to PLAY HOSTS, trying to SERVE from their DSL and sometimes 56 K connection ( LMAO )

Stay away from TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE offers and FWS providers thats not a business thats verifiable

Dont start hosting only for fun :angry2:
I totally disagree. What we need are people who believe in a "free Internet" and are interested in starting a free host out of good will. Why? Because free hosts that are established for profit will almost always fail, since the business is not profitable at all (in fact, you will most likely lose money). The only successful "business" host started in the recent past has been HostUltra, but even he has experienced bumps along the road.

Just accidently run on one host (not gonna name host) who offer free hosting to me, when some hour later when account was set up asked his age... he said 15 year, and when asked how long this host have been in hosting business, ansver was 4 days, I wrote back and said "you're kidding me" but ansver was "it's true" :rolleyes:

I hade an account allready there but I couldn't stay there when it was runned by modem and some home computer systems using windows server? Maybe i'm too suspicious, bet i smell a big risc to stay if need a host for longer period :confused:

This is the big problem...they dont allways tell you what kind of hosts they are, and if you seek stable host for longer time you can get big surprise one day when host has shut down. How can some 15 year old person take response for anything, I'm really wonder? I think it is a "daddy pay" toy system :rolleyes:

Last edited:
For how long this time? Read that you start over...so there gonna be big risc that you shut down again :rolleyes:

We were up for a total of 1 year, and what we offered cost us $150 a month, and we didnt even ask for ads or banners in return, considering this i think it was pretty good deal to have it be up 1 year with really good hosting.

People change, and move on.

== free internet? ==

FREE INTERNET ??

funny-funny

I wonder how many can remember it was not too long ago that there was a slogan---keep the internet FREE.

I don't know what big king-pins run the world but I'd swear here in the USA during the presidency of 'CLINTON-GORE' there was some national push..something political...pushing a free internet... EDUCATION. Every classroom on earth hooked up to the internet. INFORMATION. Even at election time who said..."I gave you the internet'...? (GORE)

Its not just my imagination that about exact time the present BUSH administration took over about everything on the web started with EXCITING new pay premium plans. Now I'm not saying anything with BUSH administration has one stupid thing to do with it---just the time frame.....

It WAS like it was being a good citizen to offer some of your time and resources. Patriotic. People gave up time and resources and offered things FREE.

The internet never even passed through a phase of trying to meet expenses..non-profit..--just now everything is MAXIMUM PROFIT.(and little business regulation)

I've seen it in this messageboard threads about nothing is free.Threads to justify why nothing should be free or ever was.

If I drop off a can of food when shopping into some box that claims its a donation to a local 'food kitchen' or something (feed the hungry) do I expect to get anything back?

Well..everybody wants money on the internet now. It takes money to run things.(naturally). There must be tens and tens of thousands offering paid hosting now. All think they are gonna get rich---yet theres so much competition they are lucky to get a customer.

Prior FREE places don't even convert to economical pay plans (often) but roll out....hosting for your business !!!! (like nobody else offers it)

BUT my observation 2002-3 is almost 100% of free hosts just disappear. Its like WHY sign up?

Then I love the free=pay. http://www.myfamily.com/ just did that number like so many others. Suck you in and then tell you to pay. ( http://freepages.rootsweb.com/ next)

Why not freeze new accounts like many do? Grandfather the free?

== excuse my mumblings ? ==

Kids? If you PAY for hosting avoid the kids !!!! No offense but most are just un-reliable. If you see some hosting that acts like its a big fun game and a messageboard where #1 has some avatar like out of a comic strip? Yes..its fun but your money is also part of the game. They vanish and you ask...wheres my money? Your a nut to even raise the subject.

Hosts with no real addresses? Sure..please even a po box but hope its legitimate...

Now not saying ALL young young people are this way with hosting....

Abuse? How can you host the whole earth for free? Even ad companies must know they get no revenue from people scattered around the earth.

I see more and more 'screening' for free sites. Fine...but who qualifies? I give out my real name/address and get people rejecting me saying I gave fake information. How does a host know who has fake addresses? I think most people just in USA have unlisted telephones and enjoy their privacy with home addresses. I use a real po box..real phone number..real name..and then told its fiction?

As to abuse with multiple sites? I'm not clear why such is abuse except it might deprive some of accounts if maximum is limited. If I had 5 accounts at a free host and had 500mb bandwidth a month and all 5 accounts only used 50mb per month? --vs. different people who all used up the 500mb......

hmmm...they want ad clicks but use as limited bandwidth as possible.....

I think its common people sign up for multiples at the old major free places. In fact it used to be a big promotion at many...yes...just a different email address....

Excuse my ramblings.... Maybe the next phase will be....theres no 'getting rich on the internet' and some will again offer free or economy offerings...

he-he..this started with the 'kids'. I wish all free hosts well but kiddies can we be a little more responsible?

Back