• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How long does your comp take to start up?

Marky

how long does it take for your comp to start up after the windows loading screen with the bars in the middle?

Takes my comp 20-30 friggen seconds for all my 3 programs to load completely on start up.

About 3 minutes... not including the time it takes to cancel chkdsk. :lol:

The nForce4 chipset causes data corruption for whatever reason, so my Windows install goes to hell every few months. :mad:

I'm sick of formatting, so I'm just trying to hold out until this fall when Conroe motherboards are more widespread and (hopefully) cheaper.

A week ago I would have said 20 minutes :S But that was only because my secondary drive was getting sick. Now that's gone, it loads quick smart and loads a bunch of programs.

Bruce said:
About 3 minutes... not including the time it takes to cancel chkdsk. :lol:

The nForce4 chipset causes data corruption for whatever reason, so my Windows install goes to hell every few months. :mad:

I'm sick of formatting, so I'm just trying to hold out until this fall when Conroe motherboards are more widespread and (hopefully) cheaper.

Don't use the nF4 IDE/SATA drivers. They're not needed anyways.

Also, the nF4 hardware firewall is garbage too.

Daniel said:
Don't use the nF4 IDE/SATA drivers. They're not needed anyways.

Also, the nF4 hardware firewall is garbage too.
Yeah, I've discovered this after the first time. It doesn't appear to be just a software problem though... and Google can confirm this. With my last few formats, using both PATA and SATA drives with the standard Windows drivers, Windows will still find a way to corrupt itself. I've had more problems with this box than all my others combined.

Leriss said:
For me it's around 5 Sec

I have 3GHZ Pentium 4 Dual Core (D) with 2GB RAM and 7200rpm SATAII 250GB

same, almost, 1gig of ram, and 2.8ghz dual core, until I get a water cooler at least

Bruce said:
Yeah, I've discovered this after the first time. It doesn't appear to be just a software problem though... and Google can confirm this. With my last few formats, using both PATA and SATA drives with the standard Windows drivers, Windows will still find a way to corrupt itself. I've had more problems with this box than all my others combined.

Any idea on how to uninstall the NF4 sata drivers?

Marki said:
Any idea on how to uninstall the NF4 sata drivers?
You can do it through Device Manager. Select the hard drive, go to properties, driver, and then remove.

Restart. Windows should then do its "found new hardware" thing and install its own drivers.

All night. Not sure exactly how long, but well over 3 hours. Not exactly sure why, and I just ordered a new one, so I'm not going to press it.

Mine takes about 20 seconds, but if you remember windows 95/98/ME that is pretty damn fast ;)

If it used to be a lot quicker when you bought it, defrag your drive. If it's still slow as hell, might want to think about reformatting your drive.

Already tried reformatting, didn't do jack. It got hit with lightning a few weeks back, and it's been screwy since. I got insurance to buy me a nice $3000 one, so I'm fine with it ;)

20sec. Thats after BIOS, and going through loading XP, DUMeter, Trillian, InCD, Norton, and SM Guardian for my Soyo I865PE motherboard.

Pentium 4 2.8GHZ 800FSB with HT
512MB RAM (soon going to 1GB)
7200RPM WD IDE 160GB HD
7200RPM WD SATA 250GB HD

Mine takes like 3 - 5 minutes for the whole start process

Intel Celeron 1.7
256 MB RAM

Not to much, but it's my baby ^^

Back