• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How hot is Exchange 2003 Hosting?

ITahmed

We are thinking of doing exchange 2003 Hosting, Are you seeing a lot of demand? What is the aveage mailbox size and charges? I can do the reseach but would like your opinion. Avearge users may not care about exchange as other mail clients can do the job!!!
What type of business usually signs up, small to med or large?
:spider:

nope, many prefer to rent from a professional company than paying for server + software + management headaches + hiring a technician to manage it.

Most business.. and many small businesses these days are moving to MS exchange. It has a very bright future

JodoHost said:
nope, many prefer to rent from a professional company than paying for server + software + management headaches + hiring a technician to manage it.

Most business.. and many small businesses these days are moving to MS exchange. It has a very bright future

Thats true JodoHost ...

What type of clients outsource it, small to medium size or big companies?
What is the average size of mailbox. What is the average charge?

Last edited:
Seemed like there were two exchange hosting companies for every other type of company at HostingCon this year, and no one I talked to had the slightest interest in any of them. It could be worthwhile if you market it right - but personally I don't think that will be an easy task.

We resell any customer who wants exchange hosting honestly...Just leave it to the certain few reliable exchange hosts out there. For us it is too much trouble and too much headache but currently Blackberry customers are kind of stuck so it's fairly needed..

TheFreeWebHost said:
Honestly...
Exchange = Microsoft = Bad Programing = Downtime.

Right. Maybe you'd like to back that up with facts? Exchange is one of the most reliable email solutions out there, with its ability to be clustered and handle huge volumes of email.

Many many companies reliable on Exchange for their emailing solution. Many many companies.

Honestly, if you do not have a clue what MS exchange is about, don't know your lack of knowledge!

I was talking about Microsoft's lack of ablity to program (like windows). If one program sucks badly, then what makes you think another will not (if its by the same author).

/shrug Not going to open up a debate on Microsoft vs whatever...

I am not saying that it isn't a very functional piece of software but when your building on top of an insecure and buggy OS then you wind up with unstable software. If the OS can't keep a high uptime, then the app definitely can't.

On average in the clustered environments I have dealt with you still reboot a windows box about 3 times more than you do a SUN/Linux box handling any service. The security updates are pushed out much faster in an open source environment and the number of hacked linux/unix boxes vs the number of windows boxes a yr is less than 1/2.

And before anyone comes back with the "but its because there are most windows boxes".

True on the workstation side but in a web server environment Apache running on a Linux/UNIX based OS is still over 65% of the server share.

And yet, I'm once again not saying this just to be defensive or one-sided because I do currently hold an MCSE but also 4 Linux certs. Fact is, windows servers aren't going away and having knowledge in both is helpful...But I do prefer Linux in a server oriented environment due to the lack of licensing needs, the stability, the security, and the flexibility.

Last edited:
ecsportal said:
I am not saying that it isn't a very functional piece of software but when your building on top of an insecure and buggy OS then you wind up with unstable software. If the OS can't keep a high uptime, then the app definitely can't.

If you are calling Windows 2003 a buggy OS, then you really need to do some reading. We have Windows servers that have been up for months without a reboot. The only real reboot scenario is a critical OS-level update, the same thing as a kernel update on linux

On average in the clustered environments I have dealt with you still reboot a windows box about 3 times more than you do a SUN/Linux box handling any service.
How can you just compare SUN with just any linux distro?

The security updates are pushed out much faster in an open source environment and the number of hacked linux/unix boxes vs the number of windows boxes a yr is less than 1/2.
You obviously have no idea about this. The number of Linux boxes hacked as per 2005 has been much higher than the # of windows boxes. Do a search on this. I'm not claiming Windows is more secure, but why fabricate facts?

True on the workstation side but in a web server environment Apache running on a Linux/UNIX based OS is still over 65% of the server share.
Firstly.. you don't seem to understand the difference between Linux or Unix or Linux or SUN. If you look at a breakup of the server market, you'll see the share of the most common linux distros that hosting companies use are actually comparable to the windows share. Yes they are more. But the Unix platform has been around much longer than Windows

And yet, I'm once again not saying this just to be defensive or one-sided because I do currently hold an MCSE but also 4 Linux certs. Fact is, windows servers aren't going away and having knowledge in both is helpful...But I do prefer Linux in a server oriented environment due to the lack of licensing needs, the stability, the security, and the flexibility.

Windows servers are not going away?
You are mistaken, Windows servers have been GAINING market share. Infact, the # of windows serves being deployed in a given month is now matching if not exceeding linux servers. There was a news article about this recently, once again.. do some research.

Windows OS has matured since NT over the last several years as a server operating system. Unfortunately most people these days have the same opinion about windows as they did back in the days of 98 or NT. At least the server-side version of the operating system has gone a transformation since its early days. I'd infact give Windows 2003 a point or two above Linux in terms of security. You are an MCSE as you claim, i'm sure you've heard of DEP. DEP = data execution prevention, and is a new 2003 feature that prevents hackers from writing code into the memory using an buffer overun. Read up on it

TheFreeWebHost said:
I could not agree with you any more.

because you are ill-informed?

I was talking about Microsoft's lack of ablity to program (like windows). If one program sucks badly, then what makes you think another will not (if its by the same author).

Windows isn't a program, it is an operating system. And yes of course, Windows sucks...

Back