• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

how extract tar.gx files in windows

FYI, tar.gz distrobutions are meant for installations on UNIX machines.

hmm, typo, yes, I meant tar.gz

And yes, I know they are meant for installation on unix machines, and that is where I will install it, but I first need to open the file on my windows machine.......

If it's going to be on a unix machine, there's absolutely no point in untarring it on nothing other than the local filesystem. If you don't have SSH access but have access to perl:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
system("tar xzvf file.tar.gz");
Just replace file.tar.gz with the filename, and make sure you can execute this in the directory with the gzip tar.

Last edited:
i got an error the first time i tried to open in in winzip, but strangley i tried it again just now and it worked.

like msn said, PowerArchiver is a very good archiving utility... do a quick search for it on google...

and yeah i know you got it done but i decided to post anyway becos i find PowerArchiver very useful on windows when i want to make tar.gz or tar.bz2 files :D

Back