• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How do you...

Christopher

I got this question off of Daniel's thread, but I don't think it was the same type of thing...

Ok, I have partitioned my 20GB HD so one is about 15GB and the other is about 5GB. Is there any way to get rid of the small one and make the bigger one go whole again?

One of them is set to NTFS, and the smaller one is FAT32, if that makes a difference...

Yes you would HAVE TO format since one is Fat32 but what are you doing with a Fat32 partition anyway? You have XP now don't you, that will cause a lot of problems. Anyway, you will have to format them. Then the only way to merge them is with Partition Magic, if you don't have anything important on them or you want to back it all up I would reccomend deleting the partition and formating both then re-partitioning...then re-install, give your system a bath :)

The only reason I wanted this drive was to put my stuff on it, like apache and my website stuff, and downloads...

But, for some reason I can't get to it through the MS-DOS Prompt... Is that because it is FAT32? The main one is NTFS...

Arg! I just tried formatting it, said: Windows was unable to complete the format.

Whats that?

Ok, I just formatted it with FAT32, and it was ok... But I can't set it to NTFS... Also, I can now access it through DOS... :confused2

Go to command prompt and do this (# being the name of your drive letter C: being your main drive)
#:\format #:

It will probably ask you something
and then it might ask something again it will say something like drive can't do this do you wish to over ride and say yes, then it should ask you what file system you wish to use

Ok, I went into window's help and found out how to do it.. Lets see if it works, it is doing it write now... I did this:

format D: /FS:NTFS

Hope it works...

Arg! Now it shows this:

Creating file system structures.
The second NTFS boot sector is unwriteable.
The first NTFS boot sector is unwriteable.
All NTFS boot sectors are unwriteable. Cannot continue.
Format failed.

... Is there errors on the drive or something?

Which OS are you on? I assume it is either Winnt/2000 or XP as you have NTFS. In that case go to disk manager, right click on the partition, select Format, in the resulting dialog box you have a drop-down menu to select NTFS or FAT
Or just go to console in Winnt/2k(command prompt) and type
convert d:/fs ntfs or something like that I don't remember exactly.
You can find correct argument by typing convert /? at prompt.

thanks

Originally posted by no-one
Which OS are you on? I assume it is either Winnt/2000 or XP as you have NTFS. In that case go to disk manager, right click on the partition, select Format, in the resulting dialog box you have a drop-down menu to select NTFS or FAT
Or just go to console in Winnt/2k(command prompt) and type
convert d:/fs ntfs or something like that I don't remember exactly.
You can find correct argument by typing convert /? at prompt.

thanks
He already said that doesn't work though, I would be able to help him better if he told me what partition he is trying to format and what side his OS is on

1. I have WinXP...

2. WinXP is on the 15GB drive, not the one I want to format

3. I think it's because I have "bad sectors" on the smaller partition... Is there any way to fix those? My friend says there isn't any way... If there isn't, then it's good that I partitioned it cause thats where all of the bad sectors are, not on the other one... That sucks! I might buy a 40GB anyway...

:cry2:

You could still format if there are bad sectors, and bad sectors are like "byte sized" so it shouldn't screw your format up. And just do a disk check and I forgot the exact command prompt command but you can make it to where if the disk check can't fix the sector then it will tell the hard drive not to write there any longer. Someone else probably knows

Back