• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How Do We Build The Perfect Free Host?

old guy

I have several successful online ventures ...

I've always been intrigued by the possibilities of growth associated with free web hosting companies.

Every single one of my cronies say the free hosting biz is a waste of time, money and resources and it's bound to fail.

After crunching the numbers over and over again and researching the business models of the long-lived free hosting companies, I have to agree that the entire concept seems impractical and illogical.

However, where most people see a brick wall, I see a opportunity to elevate above that obstacle. There must be a way.

What do people seeking free hosting REALLY want?

After all, if you look around you can get all the features available (with the possible exception of the capability to stream large amounts of audio or video) for $5 to $10 a month. OK you can get it for $5 and fairly good support and uptime.

So even if your purpose online is simply a hobby instead of "for profit" you can get good service for cheap. I did for years. I had paying clients in 20 plus countries on a $5 per month account before I switched hosting companies. The only reason I switched then was to go with a host that allows me to have multiple domains under a single account.

So what do people seeking free web hosting REALLY want?

1. Could it be they are on a tight budget and simply want to be sure there website is going to be a commercially viable vehicle for income before they shell out cash?

2. Everybody loves a bargain, perhaps it's just a strong desire to be thrifty, prudent and wise, when all the while they are overlooking the fact that (and I quote a mod on this forum) "...don't expect too much features, reliability or support from fwps..."

So here's where you can help. No matter if you are a seasoned pro at providing free hosting or if you are just interested in getting your work online.

What do you feel would make the perfect free host?

One says no ads, another says more features ... BUT WAIT A MINUTE ... we all know the small guy has to make profits or he can't remain in business. Sure those big companies can lose millions annually for a decade hoping to somehow convert their investment (loss) into market share, but not us, not real folks.

How can we best serve one another? How can the free web hosting company provide features, reliability (excellent uptime) and decent support and still mutually benefit both the company and the end user (site owner)?

The world is full of folks who say it can't be done without cutting corners, without fudging on your promises, without infringing on the rights of others.

Some free host charge a membership fee, which annual dues really render the host a paid host as far as I'm concerned.

Then there are several other twist to wringing out a bit of revenue from the site owners. Require them to register their domain with you at inflated prices or some other such nonsense.

A few host offer full featured, reliable hosting with good support free for 30 days in hopes that you will see the validity of their service and see benefits from your website and thus renew to paid hosting.

But what arrangement do you feel is a good, equitable arrangement for both parties? (Both the host and the site owner)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

:)

The sad truth is that 90% of webusers are looking to someway cheat free hosts into doing something illegal or resource-consuming that they think the whole internet is sitting on the edge of their seats for. Im talking about:

- People who want sendmail to spam their ads to millions of servers

- People who reserve freewebspace just to link their pictures to other sites

- People who rename something to SpidermanDVDRIP.avi.html and up it to a server

- People who put a phpBB here, an XMB there, an IPB somewhere else and install trillions of mods for the 10 members on their forum.

- People who upload mp3's to servers and let people download, then when they run out of bandwidth, give their friends access to the admin FTP to download from there

- People looking to serve their DBZ Movies and Gundam Wing Episodes

and the list goes on and on. After quite a bit of experience in the freehosting world, I have come to realize only a small percentage of consumers Actually have a decent established website that they can't afford to put up or need somewhere free to start.

So, the answer to your question is this:

If you want to be a freewebhost that "everyone" will love, than offer 200mb/unlim transfer/php/mySQL/cgi/sendmail/ftp etc. And most importantly AUTOMATED signup so Joe Nobody from asdf OHIO can put linkinpark.zip and share it with his friends and you will go down in a matter of weeks

OR

Be a freewebhost that is usable by real Webmasters and do manual signups which require the person willing to host send in a copy of his site or upload it to somewhere just to see and then decide whether they deserve the hosting or not. These hosts tend to stay up the longest, are the most respected and most useful for people who actually need FREE HOSTING. These people are usually more than happy to place a button or link on their site too which can help cover some costs.

Good luck in the future whatever your decisions may be!

i kind of dont feel like posting after reading that post, hehe.

Im making a final fantasy site. Each section is 4-5 mb each. I will have maybe 5-6 sections, and more as both the website grows and the final fantasy gaming indutry. i do have some media files, such as pictures, or screen shots. I use a php news script, with headlines on eveyrpage, as well as forum. What i find would work is maybe 40-50 megs, bandwidth really isnt an issue unless if someone with a popular comes on, php, and mysql. Speed is good too. I also like webhosting companies with a good forum to talk with other webhosts that have admins on to help those clueless newbies. Although im not a newbie, it seems lonely or like im hosted all alone with no admins to talk to via forum. But most importantly, a file size limit. 1-2 mb. this is plenty for most files unless they are unnecisary, at least on a free host. the filesize limit is what will keep you from having those abusers.

offering 50mb with 5GB transfer is perfect.
1 SQL and PHP is enough for free hosts. I would also put ads on your site so people can click to support you. I do that for my free clients and it pays for their space/bandwidth.

Well, I bought a domain name and everything for my clan, #free_clan. And my host went down, so now I'm stuck with a domain name but noone to host me, and what im looking for now is a free host with:
-php, MySQL
-AT LEAST 75 megs of space
-AT LEAST 3 Gigs of band
-AT LEAST 1 Pop3 Mail

and its tough.

Originally posted by amirk999
offering 50mb with 5GB transfer is perfect.
1 SQL and PHP is enough for free hosts. I would also put ads on your site so people can click to support you. I do that for my free clients and it pays for their space/bandwidth.

Lycos.co.uk is PERFECt...but....It has that damn frame...and that floating one too....If they could just let ya put it where ya want it would be the best host ever...The frame kills the forum

Originally posted by LazyGamer
Lycos.co.uk is PERFECt...but....It has that damn frame...and that floating one too....If they could just let ya put it where ya want it would be the best host ever...The frame kills the forum

another problem with their service is that they use php4u which is like php, but very limited.

I had good hosting though, and I don't have the income to pay monthly or yearly....actually, maybe I do...but I want free! :)

Back