• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How do I host my site on my compuer?

sHaWn

I really want to do this. My ISP doesn't have anything in their TOS against this, so I figured I'd just try it.
The problem is, is that my ISP doesn't give me a stactic IP, so i get a different one everytime I log-in.
Does anyone know of a FREE service that will allow me to do this? I've already tried DNS2Go, and they make you pay to get your domain transfered.

first off, if you have a 56, cable, or dsl, dont try it, cable going at 750Kbs can only hold 2 hits to the site at the same time, if you have a t1, look at downloads.com, there is alot of softwere for that crap.. there are security risks, big ones so watch out

i have heard lots of people say that both cable and dsl are fast enough to host as long as you are not trying to run a hosting company and just hosting your own site... which one is it? can you not host a single site on cable without somthing going wrong or can you?

huh.... They must've just started at not that long ago...

Because I first found them about 2 months ago... And I didn't have to pay anything to use one of my domains through them... Then again... it was still in beta, I believe.

You can always use their domains...

Or you can check out: http://www.dynip.com.

Check out on the web...there's plenty of differnt software packages out there to help you out...

You could run a site (not having a dedicated IP address makes it more difficult), though the line isn't burstable, and traffic rarely comes spread out evenly, so if you get simutaneous hits, it will be slow.

No one will recommend this. It just isn't the best way to host a site. You could have your site hosted on a powerful server, that is dedicated to serving webpages (among other things) on high speed lines with all the good things, *or* on your home pc (which you probably need to do other things), with no redundancy, and a limited line.

Do it for fun, and nothing else and you won't be disappointed.

I'm a aware of the risks. I'm not using my regular computer, just one I put together.
I got this on my "server"
433mhz
128mb of ram
2.1gb HD

I just want to setup a temperory host for my site. I'm going to use adsl.

Can anyone tell me the exact programs I need to use? including all the extensions(perl[i know that one] , mySQL, and php.

Oh and by the way, I will be setting up a hosting company soon, with these features:
25mb
cgi, php, mySQL DB, SSI, and all the extensions.
no telnet. not too many FWP have this anyways
user placable ads
virtual hosting
and of course the famous FWP upgrade options
2gb bandwidth limit
Plus bonuses for sites with quality hits and content, like more space and banner profit sharing.

...oh, people don't trust reliability because I don't have a clue how to setup a host now can rest assure that I will get some professional help.

Back