• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How Do Free W/H's Stay Alive?

.Joe.

Yours Truly
NLC
Alright, I know that ppl. often offer free webhosting but I just want to ask how do they offer it. Like not in the actually way, but don't lose money when they offer freeweb hosting? How do hosts afford that?

Can anyone help?

I sit in the street and beg for money.
joke...
I try to get the best servers I can, bear in mind that its not just the cost that can affect your overall profit, decent management is a must!
then, dont offer stupid packages, we dont offer much at all.
do something different, this attracts people.
get a ad provider that isn't google. free hosts attract fake clicks like flies (users think they help out) get a ad provider that will simply deduct the clicks instead of banning you.
find other revenue streams - hottweelz and I have said this 1bn times now, but the internet ad industry is going to collapse. dont stick around to watch it.

no, all free hosts have ads, just in different places.
usually if hosts are ad free they require forum posting and have ads there.
USUALLY. we dont:p

ZoomCities has been around for more than a year without depending on ads or payment/donation from ZoomCities Members. :) We now have 3 different servers Xeons and Opteron. How do ZoomCities survive? I funded it privately, I have a full time job as an IT Project Manager, I also host some of my local clients website in one of our server.

My goal is not to earn money from ZoomCities, my goal is to established an IT Community and provide high quality FREE cPanel Hosting to those who are in need, to those who are deserving and to those who are active members of the ZoomCities IT Community. I also provide FREE WHM Reseller Accounts to the Moderators of the Community and to some active members very soon. :D Reason why I do this? I was once one of them too, "in need of a great free host" :)

Visit our website to find out more about ZoomCities! ;)

Last edited:
I give free hosting. Basically because "I Can". I have a stable job and am running close to 50yrs of age. I just like helping people, if possiable.

Free hosting services make profit from hosting your website. They can make profit either by;

-Placing banner ads on your webpages.
-Placing banner ads on the administration pages which you use to upload files.
-By sending you email from advertiser.
-Many new free hosts require forum posting, which helps in getting free content for their website.

Needlehost, well thought out.. yes we're going to see some BIG changes in the Internet Ad industry, real soon...

In fact, this morning on Bloomberg Radio about 30 minutes ago, JP Morgan (I believe) cut Google from Strong Buy to OutPerform because they lowered the Price Target from $550 to $475.

Google releases their earnings soon and I think some hard truths will be out.

Let's not forget that Google (as rich as they are) takes in 80% of their Income via Adsense.

Just remember you heard it here first.

As for the answer to Free Hosting: For now we use Adsense, but Adsense income is play money, especially with what I just said.

Free hosting doesn't require as much support. Limit the users to Ticket Systems for support. Forum Support... Limit the amount of addon domains/parked domains/DB, etc etc etc... then when they want more. They upgrade to paid hosting.

We're always re-investing Profits, it makes for good Tax issues as well ;)

As for Google Adsense supported Free Hosting (or any Publishing of Ads for that fact) Remember, you heard it here first.

Free Hosting:

-Ads on their site
-Ads on members' site(maybe)
-Ads on Control Panel(might not be cPanel, how about xPanel lol?)
-Another source of income(fultime job, halftime job, etc)
-Sponsors
-Sell Adspace on their site
-Donations

I might start my own free host when I am 18, I dun wanna be called a "kiddie free host"!:p And then I will be more knowledgeable in the area of how they sustain the free hosting service.

graphics underground
www.gfx-underground.com

runs off me!

No ads, no forum posting required and I just pay for the servers that we use!

I dont believe that people should pay for things that they cant afford.

Help others and someone will help you back

thats my motto about free hosting :D

hosting-shack said:
A correctly run free host will give a profit, not a loss.

Maybe you can define the word "correctly" so some newbie hosting providers can understand and will know how to make it work. :)

Zac

I gave my free host a fair crack at the whip, and unfortunatley for me it didn't work out. Ads were small, very small, and the users we had were great, but we simply didn't have enough. Due to the 12yr olds demand for cPanel and 100gb of bandwidth, I simply couldn't attract enough people.

That being said, I loved what I did and would be interested in starting up another one... *gasp*

I started my free forum host, WebringAmerica because at one point in time I could not find decent free forum hosting without forced ads. So I created my own free forum host that does not force ads on my visitors. I decided to do this because I had purchased a hosting account with more than adequate hard drive space and bandwidth and I had no plans to ever use all of it. This way I feel like I not wasting my excess space and bandwidth and I am also helping people out.

The host is small (around 7 forums currently hosted) but I feel it is a valuable service to anyone who wants to use it. For some people it's all about making the internet better whereas with others it's all about the money. I hate people that are all about the money. They make life suck.
:beer:

BMR777

Back