• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How dangerous it to run out dated forum software ?

alley

Social Nutwork
NLC
How dangerous it to run out dated forum software (older versions) that have security vulnerabilities if you have an un-popular site?

I mean are most of the threats from bots that inject stuff in the database, or is it just individual hackers that you have to look out for?

The reason why I am wondering this is because I found a vbulletin (clone) skin for myBB but it's for an older relaase of myBB (1.2.13). It looks just like vb.

However, the designer that created the skin is currently working on updating the skin for the latest release of myBB from what it says on his website.

I really love the way the default skin of vBulletin looks, but I can't afford to buy a vb license yet.

That skin is compatible with mybb 1.2.14 which is the version right before 1.4. It currently has no security vulnerabilities. According to the mybb developers it's supposed to be a safe stable platform for users who don't want to upgrade to 1.4 yet.

Last edited:
for an un-popular website isn't such a big risk, exceot if a hacker notices you... the main risk is to get hacked, so try to secure as much as you can.

If you run the upgradea script after uploading the changed files for 1.2.14, it should upgrade the theme too. Backup your site, then try it.

Back