• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosts that scan incomming emails...

akersche

Hello,
I wonder why there are so few hosts, that offer virus protection. I know it can be done on the client site. But not every client is doing that and that's why emails have been spred so wide latley...

host's would just need install a free script and got an antivirus...

do you thinks host's will be doing that in the future?
what great hosting companies offer such features? (a pitty tera-byte doesn't)
And the problem is one cannot install it, when you ain't got a dedicated server.

And how much security have hosts got against hacking??? I know there are some systems out there, but do they use them...
Most hosts don't got a statement about that...

I hope hosts wake up and do something about security, before the virutal twin towers are under attack!

This is something I've been considering working on. What types of filters should be available for something like this?

My idea was basically to be a simple script that would allow filtering by:

- From
- Subject
- Body (keywords or phrazes)
- Attachments (file types)

If a match found, it could either bounce the message with one of a few possible error codes (eg, useful for spam filtering), ignore (delete), or for attachments, remove the offending attachment but send the rest of the message on.

Now, virus scanning is a bit more complicated than that, and having to find a source of virus definitions, and running a program against every email -- that's a bit too heavy and high-maintenance. Filtering file types would be helpful against things like the "readme.exe" and even SirCam though.

Any thoughts on this? Is an actual virus scanner (assuming Windows and Outlook viri here) necessary?

there are already scripts availiable and it's not trick to modify them.

for virus scanning:
http://www.amavis.org/

one just recieves an email that says, sender xy emailed one a virus...

i wanted to implement my own spamming filter, but i am not able to do so on my host:-( (would need a dedicated server).
i wish i had access to start a script when email arrives and delete emails from my mail queue....
that's a good idea to have a more powerful spam filter (than just deleting emails from a list of specified senders).

Back