• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

HostOnce.com...INFO NEEDED!

BrendanWX

HostOnce.com seems REALLY excellent, it has

- Unlimited Space
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- CGI, SSI, PHP4, ASP
- FREE domain name
- Unlimited POP3 emails

And a lot more. Now, before you guys go on about the unlimited harddrive (;) ), I know it can't really be unlimited, but it must be quite a bit. And how much is all the above? Only $4.95 per month.

I would really like to get this deal, but, I thought I'd find out, does anyone have any experience with them? Any problems?

The Unlimited Plan

Overview of key features

Your website hosted in our multi-million dollar data-centre

FREE Domain Name (Never Pay Registry Fees Again!)

Unlimited Web space for your domain name

Unlimited Data Transfer

Create unlimited POP3 e-mail accounts and unlimited auto responders.

Unlimited e-mail forwarding

NO SETUP FEES Price Freeze Guarantee

Each account comes with a FREE Virtual Control Panel allowing real-time administration of all aspects of your account.

FREE Domain Name Transfer. International Domain Names Okay!

FAST and RELIABLE Web Hosting

NO ADVERTISING!

Hosted on Windows 2000 servers with full support for ASP, Perl and ODBC database connectivity.

Multiple OC3 (155mbps) connections to top brand Internet backbones

Industrial strength multi-processor servers

Raw visitor Log Files

Full CGI support

Live statistics for your website*

E-mail support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Microsoft Frontpage support*

SSL Secure Server functionality*

SQL Server 7.0 Database connectivity*

All HostOnce's products support the latest technologies, such as Microsoft ASP, Microsoft Frontpage, Live Statistics, full CGI support, Perl and iHTML.
----------------------------------------------

Then u check out their hidden costs:

FrontPage 2000 extensions on a domain name US$3.50 per month
Live Statistics (Example) for a domain name US$2.00 per month
Password Protection on your domain name US$2.00 per month
SQL Server Database US$47 per month
SSL Secure Server US$8.00 per month

Well, even with those costs, it STILL sounds too good to be true. Besides, when you click on the "Our Customers Are Talking", link, doesn't sound like they have THAT many customers praising their service.

Unlimited anything sounds too good to be true. Why? Because it doesn't exist! :D

3. Charity: When you host your website with HostOnce.com, US$12.00 of your annual fee is donated to the Eating Disorders Foundation

Err, how do these guys make money???

OK, SOMEONE TELL ME WHETHER THEY'RE GOOD. THEY LOOK REALLY REALLY APPEALING!!!!!!

yeah, I don't ever listen to any of that unlimited stuff. but "a lot" is good enough for me...how much can i really use up?

Unlimited auto-responders/forwarders/email addresses...that will run out eventually, if you're using thousands of them.

Here's their reply to my email...

--------------------------------------

Hello. Very good. You guessed how our service works. Most of our return does go to charity, therefore most of our staff are volunteers who have been in the industry for over 20 years and give up their time to support charity.
Therefore it also provides a training ground for young people.
Realistically if we can provide our commitment to charity, we've done our job. Other companies charge $19 per month for the same product.

Have a great day!
Cheers
Kate
-----Original Message-----
From: MKA Admin [mailto:administrator@magnoliakarate.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 19, 2001 12:25 PM
To: sales@hostonce.com
Subject: 'HostOnce.com: Sales'

I'm looking through your site, and honestly, it looks too good to be true. Is there a catch? Because seriously, think about it. You get like 60 bucks a year from each of your customers. You donate 12 bucks to charity. You pay for our domain name (you probably can get it really cheap though). You give us all these features. You have to somehow maintain your servers and pay your employees. How do you guys do it? I am thinking about signing up with you, but like I said, sounds too good to be true.

Back