• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoleH

Hi

I am wanting to set up a forum. I am just learning about hosting etc and wanting some advice and help starting a forum with free hosting. I am wanting to add things onto my forum such a shout box, a logo etc.

Thanks in Advance
Nicole

Thanks for such a quick reply. I can not find the PM button on this forum. I am wanting to call my site showpugs. I do not have a domain name. How do i go about getting this.

Thanks
Nicole

Well if you want a top level domain (.com,.net,.org ...) you will have to register one at a domain registry such as godaddy.com, or namealerts.com.

if you just want a sub domain such as:
www.showpugs.hostname.com, then maybe a free web host can provide you one of those for free?

Thanks for such a quick reply. I can not find the PM button on this forum. I am wanting to call my site showpugs. I do not have a domain name. How do i go about getting this.

Thanks
Nicole

Thanks for that alley. Like i said i am just learning and need all the help i can get. If i was to purchase the name then can i still get free hosting for a forum.

Nicole

Sure, ... that's how it works. people don't normally give away domain names for free, but they do give away hosting for free. Kind of strange eh? ..considering hosting costs more ..lol

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me, or contact me on Yahoo Messenger. :)

Thanks for that alley. Like i said i am just learning and need all the help i can get. If i was to purchase the name then can i still get free hosting for a forum.

Nicole

Thanks for your help. I will sure contact you on yahoo. I think i need a computer wiz to help me.

Nicole

setting a forum up is quite easy with most free hosts. If you can score a host with Cpanel, you can install a phpBB forum by simply pressing a few buttons, located in a program called fantastico.

Installing a shoutbox may be a little difficult if you are just starting out. There should be a "hack" located at http://phpbbhacks.com for a shoutbox

I have set up a forum before but sadly i was the one who did all the hard yards but not the owner. After all my work i was booted so i want to now have my own forum so i can not be booted again. Sad really. I am off to purchase a domain name and then i will go from there. Thanks for all your help. I will be back for more help.

Good advice Sain Cai,

And if you really want to go the easy route and you just need a forum .. you could always go to www.proboards.com and get a free forum. They will host it and install it for free if you don't mind google adds?

You can try http://invisionfree.com/ what i am using to forward my domain. And i use it for free hosting to. If you look at the url in my sig and then go down the forum a bit you will find the free hosting forums. You can get some plans on what you need to do and how.

And i got my url from www.1and1.co.uk only 1.99 lol. All there domains come with DNS management.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help dariusjd, but remember that web hosts can't post offers in the "Free Hosting Discussion" section.

I believe free hosted forums are a good thing. I know a lot of people who run very successful forums using these services. A lot of people don't even have websites but still manage to run a successful forum. Generally the admins don't even want to move from the service even when they get to >100,000 posts, they are happy all server management is done for them and the costs involved in running a large forum are handled by the main forum hosting company.

Just try it out on this host : create forum

Hope this can help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back