• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosting: Windows Server

fnixws

Kicking your a$$
NLC
My clan runs a our Clan server on a dedicated server. The game itself barely uses up any bandwidth, so currently im hosting the Clan site there too with just easy PHP.

However, since we use about 1% of our total bandwidth allowance, and only 6% CPU, i fugure we have PLENTY of resources left to host sites and a Ventrilo server for the clan members.

Im wondering whats the easiest way to setup a system where I can just have some sort of script online that will allow users to create account and then once approved allocate them space and give access to a controll panel.

Id prefer not to pay for it, since its free and just for the clan members.

Anyone got other suggestions to as what we can use the left over resources for?

Thanks
SerenityX

You need a control panel for that, and there is little choice for free for windows servers.

Helm offers a free 5-domain license, DotNetPanel offers a free 10-domain license, and CubePanel offers a 30-domain one for free.
That's about your only choices if you don't want to pay.

If you decide to pay, DotNetPanel would be the cheapest at 50$ for 50 domains.

Thats the thing, we dont want to use domains. For a start we have only 10 IPs and being 1 IP per domain, i wouldnt need any more than 10 if that was the case.

Unless by domains you mean users?

All i need is for somthing that can be automated to setup user accounts wich they access by ftp://username:pass@my.ip.com to upload their files (or even some controll panel) and see their files at http://my.ip.com/username

No need for even SQL. Most of us young people starting off on the net use .co.nr or .tk domains anyway wich can just be redirected to a folder on any IP.

My .com can be too, but nobody will register one just for their messing around experiments.

edit: you are , you will need some kind of control panel to be able to setup accounts , i dont have any ideas atm , but when i come up with some ill pm u

Last edited:
So I assume you won't be providing emails either?

I say don't bother with a control panel if all you will provide is an ftp account. You can create those manually, especially if it's only 10 accounts you want to provide.

So im young, dumb and full of bright ideas that will probly go nowhere, but whatever, im giving it a shot. Its all experience :p

CubePanel = disaster.

First it didnt want to install even tho i followed the instructions to the letter, then i find out it requires a slightly older version of perl than the one i got, so i installed that insted.

Finally CubePanel installs, and seems to be working fine, but of course nobody can actually use an account unless they have a registered top level domain.

So i left it for the night, and when i come back today and login to the dedicated server, the screen is full of HUNDREDS of littel "Run-Time error (75)____[ok]"

So i start clicking ok, and guess what, the dedicated crashes.

The worst thing is i had to uninstall alot of standard windows 2003 stuff to get it to install, and now it doenst work i might have to pay for a dam OS reload :(

DISASTER :S

So I assume you won't be providing emails either?

Well it would be nice to provide emails, but for what adress? My username@my.ip ??

STUPID QUESTIONS:

I really dont understand how this is supposed to work. Everything insists on a domain name (not the IP) when domains and IPs are supposed to be interchangeable. So technically, you dont need a Domain to have a site online. So why then do all Cpanels ive tried insist i give a domain, and then report an error when i use the IP?

How do i go about making one of my registered domains = a certian IP and not just frame the website on that IP?

I see all these free webhosting companies with their own site say www.goodhost.com offering free hosting ect.
Now theres more sites on the internet than there is possible combinations of IP adresses. So how then do these webhosts setup a system where they can host all these mini sites on 1 PC, with 1 IP and give them all a subdomain like sub.goodhost.com ??
In other words, can i setup a system like this?
Get a new omain (say serenity.com) and register it as that IP, then provide accounts wich would make a subdomain user.serenity.com?

Does only 10 IPs really mean only 10 accounts??

I cant find any "noobie" information anywhere :( Everything i read expects me to know everything about it already :(

Last edited:
Serenity, I suggest you google around to learn how DNS works, and how to setup sites on IIS with Microsoft DNS.

Here's a simplified explanation:

When you register a domain, you specify namservers for it.
Usually ns1 & ns2.host.com. Those ns1/ns2 subdomains have IP's associated with them.

When someone opens a domain in their browser, say test.com, it sends a request to your ISP saying I want to access test.com. Your ISP checks where test.com is hosted (ns1.host.com) and redirects the request to that IP (say 100.90.80.70)

That's on the user's end.
Users wants test.com -> ISP checks test.com's IP -> ISP sends user to 100.90.80.70

Now, the server who's IP is 100.90.80.70 receives a request to open a website. The domain is test.com It then checks' its DNS entries (Microsoft DNS on a win2k3 box for example) and checks where that domain is pointing. If that domain is pointing back to 100.90.80.70 (same server), then IIS handles the thing from there. It checks in it's website database if there's a host header entry for test.com. If there is, it sends the user to the content of the test.com folder.

On server's end:
Server receives a request to display test.com on 100.90.80.70 -> checks Microsoft DNS for entry for test.com -> there's an entry pointing to 100.90.80.70 (same server) -> server sends request to IIS -> IIS finds corresponding website and sends the content.

So you could have multiple domains on a single IP
All the configuration in Microsoft DNS would be the same for all domains. basically pointing to your server's IP.
But then you'd use IIS to create separate websites with their own host headers that would share that IP.

Look here:
Open IIS -> open your server's name tree -> Websites -> (add one if there's none) -> right click on a website -> properties -> unser IP address you can select the IP address this website belongs to -> click advanced -> create host headers for site.com and www.site.com, both on port 80 and with your IP

Last edited:
OK, thanks for that guys.

Once i get the system WORKING again ill attempt to setup somthing else.. CubePanel = death it seems.

Any other suggestions for things we can use the remaining server resources for? Since this will probly mean we have to all put in for another OS reload, Preferably a way to make some small cash :p

What specs has the server got? Maybe you could sell some game servers from it depending on the specs you have.

Hey,

You could always look for someone interested in Splitting a dedicated server *hint*. Another option would be to set-up a single VPS on the server and sell that, of course be sure to let the customer know exactly what they were purchasing.

If you decide to sell Game Servers off the rest of it I would recommend using some kind of Control Panel, or you will need to sell the servers at very lost cost to compensate for not having a Control Panel.

Shoot me over a PM, E-Mail, or IM. I would like to discuss your server in a bit more detail, May be interested in splitting it with you if you would be interested.

Back