• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosting multiple sites on one server...

Hi. I will soon be hosting two sites off of my own server. I will be getting a domain name for each. What do I do to differentiate between which site is shown when it's corresponding url is entered? I have them in two seperate directories, so by just giving the ip address of the machine it's on, it would load what I want it to load, right? Can anybody clarify anything for me here? Thanks.

Well, first it depends on the type of server this is. But for example, with a linux server running apache, you would either bind IP addresses to the machine and just set up DNS for each domain to point to the two different IP addresses, and set up the domains on the server (virtual host).

Same IP address would be called name-based, though the whole process is similar, and the server does some of the directing. All of this would happen in httpd.conf

To be honest, if you don't know this, then you should consider a reseller account, and take some time to learn more about dedicated servers (linux, apache, or whatever platform you are using, etc.).

Back