• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosting Intro

Berne

Hi All,

As a new comer to webhosting can you advise if I want:

5GB Hosting space for a website
My own domain name, and is this a one off payment or required annually?
What does bandwidth refer to?
What is ASP.net?
What is ASP 3?
What is MS SQL?
What is H Sphere?
What is Site Studio + Easy APP?
What is the term reseller refering to?
What is FTP?
Explain backup systems policy and what is best of same? How does one use such a backup system?

Regards,

Berne...:rolleyes2

I can't answer all of your questions but bandwidth is refer to data transfer,data transfer is refered to traffic,it will require yearly payment of domain name,and I can offer you that(this offer is for a limited time)O reseller means to resell the space and b/w and features you are provided and you can resel to people

Berne said:
5GB Hosting space for a website

5Gb = 5 Gigabytes = 5000 Megabytes = 5000000 Kilobytes

5Gb webspace is ALOT for a newbie, even for experienced unless they are offering downlaods that are bulky.

5Gb bandwidth is still understandeable.

Berne said:
My own domain name, and is this a one off payment or required annually?

Domain is a way to have your identity or address using which people can reach your website.

Like when you want to come to this forum, you type freewebspace.net/forums , so freewebspace.net is a domain.

Domains are licensed on payment. Now it depends on you, if you pay for one year, then you renew license after one year and if you pay for 10 years, then you renew license after 10 years. But its not less than one year.

You don't necessarily need domain to run a website. If you are novice as appears from your querries, try having some site using SUBDOMAIN of place you get hosting from. If it is successful, you can purchase domain and use it or as you wish.

Berne said:
What does bandwidth refer to?

Bandwidth is the term used to denote the quantum of transfer taking place and in terms of hosting, it relates to volume of data transferred into and out of your account. Into your account is when you put material there time and again and out of your account is everytime someone visits you or downloads from your account.
Berne said:
What is ASP.net?

Know more about ASP.NET from here:-
http://asp.net/whitepaper/whyaspnet.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1

ASP = Active Server Pages

Berne said:
What is MS SQL?

If I am right, its Microsoft SQL.

Berne said:
What is H Sphere?

H Sphere is a sort of control panel to manage your hosting. Its product of similar category as CPanel, Plesk.

Berne said:
What is Site Studio + Easy APP?

They are most likely web builder solutions.
Browser-based solution for website design and construction. With SiteStudio, you need not know anything about FTP, HTML, Telnet, HTTP, or imaging software. You can build your own professionally looking website.

Berne said:
What is the term reseller refering to?

RE-SELLing is to sell the services you have bought.
Mostly it relates to hosting reseller or domain reseller, in this industry.

Resellers have limited control over certain part of server where they make accounts and all , though server remains managed by server owner or team.

Berne said:
What is FTP?

File Transfer Protocol

Just like http, its a protocol usually used to trasnfer fiels and related downloads.

Berne said:
Explain backup systems policy and what is best of same? How does one use such a backup system?

Backup, can be for accounts as whole or just databse and some host provide it on daily basis or weekly or few may not do it, and you shall have to take care of it.

I guess once you are hosted, you'll know more about it then.

Hi Nishant,

Well just a line to say thank you for the lesson, I am now in a better position to go forward with my proposed project.

Berne...

do you need hosting?

Byethost is a good web host to begin on as they offer awesome support.

if not, well i wish you the best of luck on your project!

MS SQL is a data base..

and 5gigabytes= 5120Megabytes=5242880Kilobytes=41943040kilobits

a lot of people just say 100 kilobytes is 1 megabyte when it actually is 1024 kilobytes.

when refering to such a large amount don't forget the 24. it's important.

the 1024 comes from:

1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 and so on....

a way to learn binary....

I'm sure Nishant has explained the rest quite clearly

~GURU~ said:
MS SQL is a data base..

and 5gigabytes= 5120Megabytes=5242880Kilobytes=41943040kilobits

a lot of people just say 100 kilobytes is 1 megabyte when it actually is 1024 kilobytes.

when refering to such a large amount don't forget the 24. it's important.

the 1024 comes from:

1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512 1024 2048 and so on....

a way to learn binary....

I'm sure Nishant has explained the rest quite clearly

True buddy, 24 is important

Back